Nappies for newborns - suggestions please!

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Nappies for newborns - suggestions please!

Postby Amanda » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:04 am

Firstly, apologies Tory, you gave me loads of suggestions, but I need everything in writing these days! I've posted on BC too, so out of laziness, here's a copy of my post - saves me typing it out again:

"Last time we started off with prefolds, and struggled on for about four months before I couldn't cope any longer and moved to eco-dispos. Luckily a few months later a friend spent much time discussing her love of cloth, and the different types of nappies out there and I left the 'dark side'. But by then Connor was into bigger nappies, so I need a bit of advice on what to try in the early days this time around.

Dh is very reluctant to spend money on more nappies, as he didn't see the problem with the prefolds, but that's because he didn't do as many nappy changes as me! Fortunately he is supportive of cloth nappies in general, and I should be able to talk him round to spending some more money, but I don't want to waste it on the wrong nappies!

I've been told to expect a 'big' baby - Connor was 8lb 4oz, and this is another boy. I'm thinking perhaps 9lb? Not sure how that'll affect how long we'll be in first size. I've got some MEOS, but imagine these will be very bulky for quite a while, even though in theory they're ok from birth. Connor's a heavy wetter, so pockets are out and our day to day nappies are MEOS and bamboozles with Rikki wraps. Obviously #2 may not be the same, and it's more about containment of squirty poo in the early days anyway, as that's where the prefolds really let us down.

Suggestions please!"

Sorry if it sounds a bit impersonal, but that's because it was posted over on BC and not to my friendly NCT girlies :lol:

Amanda x

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:37 am

for the containment of squirty poop I would without hesitation suggest:

Tots bamboozles size 1 (as size 2 are just far too big on any newborn imo!) or small motherease sandys with motherease rikki or airflow wraps!

I never ever had any leaks from either of these combinations!

I also used tots red fleece wraps overnight with great success!

maybe look at pre-loved to help oh to come around to the idea!

jan x

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:20 am

Fitted - I love swaddlebees OV newborn for the fit and containment but they really wont fit William for much longer. He was 9pound 4 and they only do up on the last poppers (and it was the first nappy he wore) so maybe a small would be better - we got ours on ebay. The natty napnaps AIO we got from our secret santa (Rae) is great to and has lots of growing room even though they look really tiny.

Pockets - Swaddlebee pockets are great to if you want to try pockets we have a medium and it fits him surprisingly. Green kids are good to folded down abit.

One size nappies - Bubba J Hemp (they do a bamboo aswell) are really good they fold small and are great for containment too. Ecobaby's are alright but leak if its a huge poo :?

I have lots of WAHM nappies for William and havent really found any I dont like. If your expecting a big bubba I wouldn't go for many nb size at all.

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:59 am

Amanda, have you read my newborn nappy review in the review section?

No time to go into details now, but ask away as Ben is now 10lbs 8oz and 6lbs 2 was a long time ago but still cloth bummed the whole time so I know what fits loL!

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby emste76 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:54 am

i used size 1 little lambs motherease small sandys. and size 0 kissaluvs. The kissaluvs probably won't be suitable for you as the come up smalla nd both of mine were under 8lb. I used motherease airflow raps with no leaks or problems. I also found the size small nature babies stuffables were good aswell. I would recommend poppered rather than velcro fastening with nature babies stuffables.

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:10 am

If you want a birth to potty, I really like the size 2 bambineo. Becasue the booster is removable you can fold it tiny, without it being bulky.

Swaddlebees OV are very and you could probably go straight into the medium (or the one-size)

I would say bimbles as they are very cute, but if you are expecting a big boy then you won't get much use from them.

My avatar
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Well, we only used meos on Charlotte until she was about 3 months so this is a bit new for me too.

So far I have basically got one of everything to try (I do use them for demos at the moment, they weren't just bought for the baby!)

Size 0 Bimble
Size 0 Bambeasy
Size 1 Diddy Diaper
Newborn Swaddlebees OV (luckily in periwinkle!)
Size 1 Bamboozle
Size 1 Tots Original
Size 1 Fluffle (very soft but am sure I won't like the bulkiness)
Small Kiwi Quickflip
Size 1 Bambineo
Small Fuzzi (in zoo print)
Size 1 Little Lambs in cotton, Mf and Bamboo

For wraps I am just going to stick with the small Rikkis I had for Charlotte as they were great. And then will get some cute boys wraps in medium for him to grow into.

Then he can move into the onesize stuff I have for Charlotte:
Swaddlebees OV OS
Baby Beehinds

And then I have all sorts of medium and large stuff (just need to work out what I can get away with on a boy!)

So it won't help you Amanda I am afraid but I will do as Annette did and review them all for future babies!

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat