hf1

Seriously thinking about giving up :(

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Seriously thinking about giving up :(

Postby fluffycabbage » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:27 pm

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:we have been struggling with our current nappies, even a ffn used in the day he is outpeeing quite quick, and he has food too and maybe 3-4 7 oz bottles a day. what gets me most right now is they smell after an hour, and all the stripping in the world ain't helping, he has leaked wee thru his wool of late too which is driving me nuts, and yes all his nice clothes are not in use due to having to use wool over the top

yep charlies always smell (recently stripwashed them all). ive borrowed a FFN from kirsty and it lasted just over 2 hrs lastnight. put her in a sposie in the end :roll:
I'd love to get a wardrobe full of lovely girlie clothes but i cant any more, coz her bum is just too goddam big :giggle:

My avatar
Ruth
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Ruth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:31 pm

emmalala wrote:Was just lurking but felt the need to post. My life is a big stress fest at the moment and i've got my boys in sposies for now cos i don't feel like washing and changing all the time. I've been like this before but after a week or two i've got the fluff back out. before then I was getting stressed about night nappies and just ended up putting them in sposies. At the end of the day, being a mum is stressfull enough and if it makes your life a bit easier for a bit then sposies it is. but don't do anything that you might regret like selling your fluff, in a few weeks you might want them back! I sold all my ittis and regret it now :(

Just read this, got to here & stopped to post before I read the rest. I am the same! Too much stress right now, constantly changing him & the weather is pants so I can't line dry & sun them or air them like I want to. House full of washing I can't keep up with!! We're on sposies, cloth still in the cupboard though waiting for better weather & a less stressed me! :oops:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Have you got your stash list so we can have a look at what you have and perhaps make some suggestions?

Evie went through mega peeing stages, I just got used to changing her every 2 hours and was fine with that, but am sure if we put all our heads together we might be able to come up with something?

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:31 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:yep charlies always smell (recently stripwashed them all). ive borrowed a FFN from kirsty and it lasted just over 2 hrs lastnight. put her in a sposie in the end :roll:
I'd love to get a wardrobe full of lovely girlie clothes but i cant any more, coz her bum is just too goddam big :giggle:

I've gone back to using a nearly-full dose of detergent (the lightly soiled end of their recommended dose, and NOT Bold 2-in-1, which is a real bugger to rinse out), having good success with that for keeping stink at bay. It might be worth trying using more detergent, if you're only using a small amount.

As for a girly wardrobe, dresses/skirts and leggings can accommodate just about any cloth bum - you just need to remember to put the skirt on before the first nappy (over a naked bum) so you don't have to try to wrestle it up and over :giggle:.

My avatar
weefywoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby weefywoo » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:21 am

I agree with pp's if it's stressing you out to much then take a break :hug: Also do what Sadie said if you get a chance and post a list of what you do have so you can get some suggestions.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:21 am

eviesmummy wrote:Have you got your stash list so we can have a look at what you have and perhaps make some suggestions?

Evie went through mega peeing stages, I just got used to changing her every 2 hours and was fine with that, but am sure if we put all our heads together we might be able to come up with something?

Day nappies - usually OBV GM's, with EP hemp underneath & fleece liner. Pianissimo Cloth with hemp underneath & fleece liner. HO with EP hemp underneath & fleece liner. DnF with hemp underneath, fleece liner. Occasionally Fuzzis with PD on top, EP hemp underneath, fleece liner.
Night nappies - HO night nappy with EP hemp underneath & fleece liner. Lovewee with fleece liner (the most absorbent of our NN). UDNN soy with PD & EP hemp underneath, fleece liner. Sometimes use a GM with PD then EP hemp underneath, fleece liner. Also borrowed a FFN from kirsty (1st night lasted 2 hours without hemp, so shes wearing again tonight with hemp underneath and fleece liner as always - but we've got leg gape boosting :-? ) Got a UDNN bamboo on the way.
Always use wool.

So, any ideas?

rhead wrote:
fluffycabbage wrote:yep charlies always smell (recently stripwashed them all). ive borrowed a FFN from kirsty and it lasted just over 2 hrs lastnight. put her in a sposie in the end :roll:

I've gone back to using a nearly-full dose of detergent (the lightly soiled end of their recommended dose, and NOT Bold 2-in-1, which is a real bugger to rinse out), having good success with that for keeping stink at bay. It might be worth trying using more detergent, if you're only using a small amount.

As for a girly wardrobe, dresses/skirts and leggings can accommodate just about any cloth bum - you just need to remember to put the skirt on before the first nappy (over a naked bum) so you don't have to try to wrestle it up and over :giggle:.

Hmmm actually Rachel, they do smell more now im using less detergent since stripping, so maybe i should use more like u suggest, and just strip every month or so, before i do the machine maintenance?
Good idea about the skirts on before the nappies! But could only do that once we have a fleece soaker, coz wool would be too bulky i think :-?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:20 am

On a note about detergent, i use much more detergent than i am supposed to but im in a REALLY hard water area and fine that if i use any less that i get smelly nappies...I have never strip washed my nappies :oops:

For a girly wardrobe with megan who we constantly had in pockets we used to use leggings with long tunic tops over the top or dresses/skirts with tights...We only ever used fitteds with wool :wink:

You selection of nappies sounds good to me, personally with such a heavy wetter i would ditch the pockets and stick with fitteds...
It may well be that while she is going through the fase of really heavy wetting that you just need to change her more often...

We normally get 3.5hrs out of an unboosted GM and I can use a GM boosted with EP hemp and a bamboost for 12 hours overnight easily, so kieren isnt a heavy wetter but then first thing in the morning he will wet through the first couple of nappies really quick and i change him 2 or 3 times in the space of time that I would normaly change him once IYKWIM? Is there a pattern is she heavier at wetting at a certain time of day?? Just a thought.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:37 am

thats worth knowing about the detergent thing, think i am gonna have to give that a try meself. coz they smell wonderful till they have been on an hour or so, then they dont smell so good! i find its mainly our gms that are like it, the rest arent too bad. have not long changed to washing on a 30 or 40 so personally dont know if that makes a difference, sure i read that a cooler wash helps with the wee smell, as the higher temps can lock in the smell. correct me if i am wrong though.

i'd try maybe try a wool soaker and some nice wool leggings under a nice dress or tunic as tory mentioned if i had a girl in cloth, i find a wool soaker (they crappy ones i made meself lol) and wool trousers cope better with taliesin, we use these overnight sometimes and don't have much issues with that. also when we are out and he is in his bug it works fine too, he's still in pram mode as he is still not huge at 24 weeks.

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:46 am

I always give the load a cold rinse before the main wash, i have to use the quick 30 min programme as my new Miele does not have an extra rinse setting :-? I now use 1 tab of bio for the main wash and then the 30 min qiuck wash again at the end as an extra rinse, and dont have stinky nappies after an hour on(like i use to)
Also i dont use pocket nappies before lunch, the mornings are normally power-weeing sessions.
:hug: :hug: hope you find sometime that works for you , dont beat youself up about washables, lifes too short.
Last edited by tracedw on Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat