hf1

Seriously thinking about giving up :(

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Seriously thinking about giving up :(

Postby angelsquidge » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:54 am

I really don't think you need to beat yourself up about not using cloth!

At the end of the day, they're only nappies....if the reusables simply aren't working for you then use what ever does work for you. The most important thing is that your baby is comfortable and happy and that you are happy. If you think about it, it's daft getting upset and stressed over a pooh catcher :giggle:

As others have suggested, you can always put the cloth nappies away and try them again at a later date. If they're still not right then sell them and get some of your money back.

:hug: and don't stress about the disposables :)

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 am

Are the nappies sodden when you change them? I know it's not really a popular choice but I always used a combination of microfibre on top of bamboo or hemp. This worked well for us, and Martha was quite a heavy wetter

I always used sposies at night :oops: there is no way cloth would have held it

As for the smell, I used to do a cold rinse then wash at 60 with half measure of detergent.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:01 am

northernruth wrote:Are the nappies sodden when you change them? I know it's not really a popular choice but I always used a combination of microfibre on top of bamboo or hemp. This worked well for us, and Martha was quite a heavy wetter

I always used sposies at night :oops: there is no way cloth would have held it

As for the smell, I used to do a cold rinse then wash at 60 with half measure of detergent.

theyre very wet, wouldnt say sodden. i dont like to keep urine next to her skin like that.
i keep fuzzis coz they actually work very well for her. in fact, i'd say the mf & hemp combo works much better than the bamboo hemp combo! never get leaks/wet clothes with them either. im just not sure about the whole PUL thing :-?

Cant remember who said they had a new Miele, but we had nothing but problems with ours and sold it. Damn expensive machine but rubbish at washing :giggle:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:45 am

Hmmm, your stash seems to be made up of fairly absorbant nappies already - have you ever tried Bumhuggers? I used them for Evie when all else failed, stuffed with a cotton layer, then a PD Bamboo insert and a couple of EH Hemp inserts. Being fleece lined they kept her bum perfectly dry, the frilled leg openings meant they were the only fitted that didnt have leg gaping or leave red marks on her thighs, and they have a big pocket so you can stuff with whatever you need.

Wool wise, have you anything crocheted? Because of the way crochet is made, it uses about 1/3rd again the amount of wool of knitted items so can be excellent for heavy wetters. Another option, especially for overnight, is to double layer the wool so a soaker and then a pair of longies over the top, or you can get woolies made up with a double layer of wool in the wet patch.

Clothes wise - I found leggings and tunics good, and there are loads of them in the shops atm, but if you are using fitteds there are loads of girly options for wool and fleece to be used as clothing.

My avatar
sarahlou
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sarahlou » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 pm

:hug: If you need to take a break then do. I did for almost 12 months as I couldn't cope with 3 in cloth full time. Now things have been settled again we are back in cloth and I am enjoying it. As for detergent I always use 2 Ariel tabs and I put the machine on a super wash with an extra rinse and haven't noticed my nappies smelling.

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:25 pm

eviesmummy wrote:Hmmm, your stash seems to be made up of fairly absorbant nappies already - have you ever tried Bumhuggers? I used them for Evie when all else failed, stuffed with a cotton layer, then a PD Bamboo insert and a couple of EH Hemp inserts. Being fleece lined they kept her bum perfectly dry, the frilled leg openings meant they were the only fitted that didnt have leg gaping or leave red marks on her thighs, and they have a big pocket so you can stuff with whatever you need.

Wool wise, have you anything crocheted? Because of the way crochet is made, it uses about 1/3rd again the amount of wool of knitted items so can be excellent for heavy wetters. Another option, especially for overnight, is to double layer the wool so a soaker and then a pair of longies over the top, or you can get woolies made up with a double layer of wool in the wet patch.

Clothes wise - I found leggings and tunics good, and there are loads of them in the shops atm, but if you are using fitteds there are loads of girly options for wool and fleece to be used as clothing.

No Ive not tried them, though they sound like they'd very bulky once boosted :-?
Yep I used to have some crochet longies, they seemed to get wet quicker than 'normal' ones :-?
Clothes - i want to use fitteds but i dont want her to be in wool all the time -thats the thing!She's my first and last girl, and i want to be able to dress her in skirts!! (is that selfish?) I think i'm gonna have to just make her wear sposies when she wears certain things :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:45 pm

It's interesting what suits some doesn't suit others...

We've never got on with disposables and though I've never tried them with Grace we never found a disp that could match the absorbency of a fitted for Isabelle :shock: but it seems to be the other way around for you!

:hug:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 pm

fluffycabbage wrote:Clothes - i want to use fitteds but i dont want her to be in wool all the time -thats the thing!She's my first and last girl, and i want to be able to dress her in skirts!! (is that selfish?) I think i'm gonna have to just make her wear sposies when she wears certain things :roll:

She can still wear skirts and dresses with wool. Katie wears skirties with babylegs or a knitted or interlock soaker with a skirt or dress and tights. :wink:

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:58 pm

can u still put tights over wool? i mean that'd look just ridiculous surely? talk about a big bum :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat