hf1

Why do we have to pay so much more for nappies?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Why do we have to pay so much more for nappies?

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:32 am

Even postage costs seem to be little different from the UK than what they are from here! I just got a decent sized postbox from my sister, it cost 4.25 pounds, I'm sure it would be nearing $10 here for national so the same price! hence why I still use UK ebay :giggle:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:41 am

With the current exchange rates, it's even worse in France than in the UK - I hardly ever buy stuff here because the prices are outrageous, even for used. A BBOS is about the same in the UK and France, but a Tots Bots Easyfit (just as an example) is £14.45 in the UK and £21.55 here :shock:. A ME wrap is £7.50 in the US, £8.50 in the UK, and over £12 here!!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:51 am

i am starting toprefer to buy nappies from hyena cart and etsy right now, my recent bulk order of 8 nappies, inc the free newborn one was about £50 delivered, i'd never get them that price here, plus the hc purchase (which came this morning!yay) of 3 crochet soakers, and 2 free pairs of baby legs inc postage was £10 :shock: they're all made with organic merino wool too!

oh, aussie ladies i got a question, my brother in law is married to erm a lady out there and they are due there first child in march, they said they're doing cloth as sposies r very expensive there, would it be better to have a weenotions nappy made and sent to them, or buy from an oz website and see if it could be sent to them direct? they sound like they r using prefolds so wanna sent them something extra yummy see

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:53 am

Thats why I never bought a single nappy in France! There were so few available when I started too!

@ Annika Send them a Weenotions. The Aussie dollar is really strong against the pound so you would end up spending more for something not as nice :wink:

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 am

thankyou tory, will do that so glad someone replied on that one! :D

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:11 am

A lot of the UK nappies are made by WAHMs dont forget, and not in great big sweat shops where they can keep their costs down by massively bulk buying and paying their workers minimum wage.

For the UK WAHMs we have to factor in not only the costs of the raw materials (which a lot of customers would be really shocked to find out quite how expensive they are) but the running costs of the machines, childcare, postage costs before we think about a wage and any amount of profit.

Quite a lot of the more popular fabrics are manufactured/distributed in the states so straight away the US WAHMs/companies will be paying less for their fabrics than we are over here.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:13 am

do have to add at this point we do still love the uk nappies! we know more love went into them :-)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 am

Your welcome Annika.

I totally agree Amber. I have only once ordered from the States and that was years ago when BGs were a lot more in the UK and I really really really wanted one :oops: !

No offense to all those that do order regularly from the States but have you considered asking UK wahms if they can do something similar if it is stuff that isn't available in the UK?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:19 am

I'm sure it isn't always cheaper either, there was a post the other day about the :shock: :shock: cost of some things over there?

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat