hf1

How does washing increase absorbancy?

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: How does washing increase absorbancy?

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:07 pm

I don't normally bother with prewashing but just use for short periods of time until up to good absorbancy. :wink:

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cazza1982_123 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Well I stopped at 3 prewashes, that was definitely enough! My WNNN's are super absorbant after being washed a few times now - worn after only one wash and was still dry on the outside, now the inserts in the pockets aren't even that wet! :D

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

Postby purplehearts » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:22 pm

Heya, coming in late (again..) but just wanted to say that I was looking at the Itti Bitti official website, and apparently they prewash all their nappies 3 times - they recommend an extra 3 prewashes as that brings the total up to 6 which is a good number of prewashes for bamboo. So no need to go mad on the prewashes for Ittis!

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:03 pm

I can only bear to wash once before using a new nappy, if at all! Hemp is the only fabric I make sure to prewash, as it has natural oils that hinder absorbency until washed out. As the others have said, the coatings on fabrics (to make their production easier) will need washed out too, and after repeated washings and dryings the fibres will be fluffier and absorb more.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat