Strong smelling pee!

My avatar
purplehearts
Clothie
Clothie

Strong smelling pee!

Postby purplehearts » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:40 am

Heya ladies
Lately, my son's nappies have been STINKING of ammonia, it's a really strong chemical smell that makes my eyes water! It's only when he's peed and I change his nappies, his fresh nappies smell fine.
I had a look on this forum for advice, and decided to strip my nappies. To be honest, I thought it was pretty unlikely that detergent build up was causing the problem, as I only use a small amount of detergent, and also most of his nappies had been recently bought preloved, and not washed by me, yet all of them smelt.
Anyway, after stripping the nappies, I went to change his nappy this morning and again the nappy reeked of ammonia!
I've tried him in a sposie and those smell too though not quite as bad. So I'm wondering if it's his pee that smells?
He seems to be teething at the moment, he's been dribbling a ridiculous amount, quite hot to the touch and he sometimes seems distressed like he's in pain - he likes it when I hold my hand firmly around his cheek.
So do you think that's causing it or is it just a myth that teething causes smelly pee? Is this something I should be seeing the doctor about?
Thanks ladies X

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Re: Strong smelling pee!

Postby beck » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 am

Teething could be the cause. Is his wee more smelly in the morning? I know that Williams are. I wouldn't worry about seeing your GP unless you thought something else may be wrong. I had this problem for a long time and in recent weeks its settled down again. Does he drink any water? It might help to dilute his wee abit.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:50 am

I'dalso say it's most likely down to teething. I remember it with DS1 - it used to make me gag (when I was pg) and made my eyes water. It's prefectly normal for wee to smell worse when teething so nothing to worry unless you notice something else. :hug:

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:56 am

Definitely teething! Dylan's nappies are as bad as hair dye when he is ill or teething, the are hideous! Can last up to a week sometimes but then they go back to normal....

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:41 pm

clarge wrote:Definitely teething! Dylan's nappies are as bad as hair dye when he is ill or teething, the are hideous! Can last up to a week sometimes but then they go back to normal....

WSS :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I agree with the others def sounds like teething wee. Making sure he is drinking plenty may help/ x

My avatar
cat27m
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby cat27m » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Rowan does exactly the same. Her nappies in the morning when she is teething make my eyes water something terrible! It does get better when the teething settles down.

Cathleen xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat