My avatar
mafford
Clothie
Clothie

Help needed re my first cloth nappy today

Postby mafford » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi all,

I need some advice...

I've not used cloth nappies before today when I trialled a bamboo Little Lambs one for the first time on my 12 week baby (with a bamboo insert and fleece liner). He was in it for three and a half hours and when I took it off, it was soaked through to the wrap, which was also wet. Is this how it should be? I don't really know what to expect...

The nappy has been washed a number of times as it was used when I bought it and he had drunk 160 mls of milk in that time.

Any comments much appreciated.

Thanks

Katie

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Help needed re my first cloth nappy today

Postby Frances » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:14 pm

:idea: 3 1/2 hours is quite a long time, cloth nappies usually need changing more frequently than sposies; I usually change cloth nappies every 3 hours max. Heavy wetters may need their nappy changing every 2 hours max. It's normal for a nappy to be wet to the tabs. Which wrap did you use? PUL usually gets wet on the inside, fleece and wool may get a little damp to the touch; it's a sign that the nappy need changing.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:16 pm

babies that age can wee a lot trust me and it may need an extra booster inside the nappy but a lot of it is trial and error to see what works best for you and your LO

sorry thats not to helpful lol am tired am sure somehwere else will come up with a more detailed answer :wink:

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:17 pm

That sounds completely normal to me for any age child. As long as the nappy hasn't leaked through the wrap it is working! If the inside of the wrap is too wet for your liking you can give it a wipe and leave to dry for the next nappy change, or I used to just keep using the same one for 24 hours before washing (lazy :wink: )

When Benjamin was tiny he was changed basically every 2 hours, now sometimes I can stretch it to 4 (sometimes even 5 depending on sleep) but then that is a sopping wet heavy nappy and almost dripping.

I've used little lambs since birth, and the size 2's are still working on a very active toddler and I don't actually put any boosters in, but use wool wraps for the breathing instead.

My avatar
mafford
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mafford » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:54 pm

Ok thanks for your help ladies. This could take a little getting used to!

I didn't fold the insert over either, I just put them in flat. I have a little boy so do I need to fold it or do you not do that?

Katie

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:02 pm

It depends on your boy. When Benjamin was little and spent a lot of time lying on his back / sitting I didn't fold as his wee always seemed to run down his skin to his bum. Now he is on his walking or tummy sleeping I fold the insert to be at the front as that is where it gets wetter.

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby daydreamer » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:37 pm

Welcome to cloth nappies!

I tried LL aswell but also didn't like the way in which they were just soaked all over. Personally i prefer pocket nappies overall because they have a microfibre layer to keep LO's skin dry. You may want to try and change him a bit more frequently aswell, just an hour or so :hug:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Think you have been given some sound advice so not sure what i can add but we have always folded inserts, usually in 3 (easier with a tiny LO) and have avoided needing extra boosters that way but we do change just about every 2 hours as well just to be on the safe side :wink: enjoy your journey through the fab world of cloth :wine:

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
mafford
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mafford » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks girls,

I have bought some Itti Bittis too as I've read good things about those but I suppose it's just a case of comparing them all when they arrive. I have to say the smell of urine made me gag quite a bit but I will persevere!

katie

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat