hf1

New to cloth nappies and need your help

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: New to cloth nappies and need your help

Postby g murphy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:11 pm

hey Leanne. I have used Litt;e lambs on my son who is now 15 months old ( and still in sz 1 cos he is only 18lbs!) and we got them 2nd hand and i love them they are highly recommended by me!!! i think the kit that you have seen sounds very good money to me. :wine:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:16 pm

I wouldn't recommend buying a big kit to start with until you know what you like or what fits your LO. Do the little lambs do a size 1 kit? I would think that shaped sized nappies would be best at first for a newborn (needing a wrap but then that's two lots of elastic to hold the bf poo) then moving on to BTP or sized nappies once baby is older. The bumgenius you mention are pocket nappies, and are what I recommend to anyone new to cloth - they come with inserts (microfibre but they are very absorbent and quick drying) and you can boost with hemp or bamboo once baby is older and weeing more.

I also used Fuzzi bunz a lot, they are sized but medium fit my LO from seven months to potty training at 26 months. They come with one microfibre insert but will need boosting, I used hempeasy boosters or Greenkids bamboo inserts. With pockets you can have more inserts as the pockets themselves dry quickly

I never really got on with AIOs or AI2s, I found that they were messy with the poo and not as absorbent as a pocket. I used to change every 3/4 hours - a bumgenius with a hemp booster would go nearly 4 hours for me
Last edited by northernruth on Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:36 pm

I agree with Ruth, probably not best to get that many of 1 nappy, maybe better to get 10 and maybe a few bumgenius as they can be used from birth, and bamboo terries until you get a feel for what you like

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:40 pm

I agree with the others. I'd get the smaller pack to start with and a few pockets and other fitted nappies. I'd also get a few Motherease wraps as some people don't get on well with the LL ones.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:27 am

Heres what we used sucessfully......

Newborn
Terry squares x 10
Little lambs x 10 I had cotton but if i did it again would buy bamboo :wink:
LL wraps x 5, we tried a few wraps but these were faves
Upsy daisy small aplix pocket

I would def recommend fitted/shaped /two part nappies for newborn esp for containing BF poo, little lambs never let us down. It washed out fine on hot wash and any stains sunned out on the line or on the window sill

older baby
we continued LL until 9 1/2 months old so i would highly recommend these.
Itti bittis are fab but IMO better after weaning
weenotions, my faves
upsy daisy
bumgenious

Night nappies for when they start sleeping longer at night, i started using weenotions night nappies. i would say cross that brigde when you come to it.

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat