first nappy - red bottom

My avatar
mafford
Clothie
Clothie

first nappy - red bottom

Postby mafford » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:37 pm

Hi,

I have a 13 week old boy and am just trying out cloth nappies for the first time. I have tried two types now but am a little disappointed as when I take them off, he is very red all over his bottom and his legs where the nappy has been. He had one on today for two hours, he just seems to be so sensitive. Presumably it's the wetness - do they get used to it? The elastic on disposables leave him with red marks but it's nothing compared to this..

Any advice welcomed..

katie

My avatar
cazza1982_123
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: first nappy - red bottom

Postby cazza1982_123 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Hello there. What types of nappy are you using? If you're using a fitted nappy without a staydry lining like fleece or minky this may irritate his bottom?? In my fitted nappies I use some fleece liners that I made myself (through cutting sections of material from a fleece blanket) and these keep his bottom dry. Hope this helps :hug: :hug: :hug:
Caroline x

My avatar
mafford
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mafford » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:55 pm

Hi,

So far Little Lambs and Puddlekins. Little Lambs has a microfibre piece with it but that didn't make a difference and the Puddlekins has some fleece but I haven't used that yet.

Thanks - I'll try that.

Katie

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:20 pm

mafford wrote:Hi,

So far Little Lambs and Puddlekins. Little Lambs has a microfibre piece with it but that didn't make a difference and the Puddlekins has some fleece but I haven't used that yet.

Thanks - I'll try that.

Katie

Microfibre isn't stay dry, it is absorbent and absorbs liquid very quickly. As a consequence it's not a good idea to have it in direct contact with baby's skin as it can cause problems. Hope the fleece liners help.

My avatar
mafford
Clothie
Clothie

Postby mafford » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Yes that was all that I had at the time as I only had one nappy but I got some fleece through the post today so I'll try that out tomorrow - thanks for your help.

Katie

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm still trying different fitteds but what-ever I have used, LO is always red (not sore) from where the nappy has been. I never get this with at all with his pockets though, which are all fleece lined so for me, I think it's the wetness from being a fitted which irritates him (& me :giggle: ). :hug: :hug:

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby daydreamer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:46 pm

hope the liners sort it for you :hug:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:55 pm

I agree, you may have better luck with nappies with a stay-dry lining like microfleece or minky, or using fleece liners. The liners that come with LLs aren't properly stay-dry, from recollection!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 am

Fleece or minkee liners sound like they may be a good investment for you, or alternantivly you could just buy some fleece and cut it up (the edges don't need to be finished so no sewing involved) :wink:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat