hf1

How did you find out about cloth nappies?

How did you find out about cloth nappies?

Professional e.g. midwife/health vistitor
No votes
Existing cloth user
10%
Baby Show or other advertising event
3%
Surfing the net / forums etc
68%
Other
19%

Total votes : 31
My avatar
HannahBanana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby HannahBanana » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:30 am

I thought about them when pregnant, not sure where instigated my thoughts lol I remember talking on BC about it and also going to a baby thing at the hospital where there was a stand about it and I chatted to them for a bit.

I actually bought some kushies while pg second hand off ebay but I was really disappointed with the condition of them and never used them. Tory started up this site (we started both our sites around the same time!) and I would dip in and out and we'd chat about it then when Erin was 9 months I switched. It was her severe eczema that came about around 8 months that was the final straw, I wanted something softer and not full of chemicals against her skin.

The girls on here were fab advising and helping. I'm so glad we switched, never using disposables again!

My avatar
WeeNotions
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby WeeNotions » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am

Charliemum wrote:When did you get into making them Suzanne? Wee Notions is now such a big thing in the cloth world :D

I don't know whether I would go that far :oops:

Unsurprisingly after getting Bambino Mio, I decided I wanted to have a go at shaped ones, we started Wee Notions originally to make clothes. I had a pair of fleece dungarees that were perfect over his cloth nappies, and I was lost when he outgrew them. I looked everywhere to find some more and couldn't find any. That is when I decided to get my sewing machine out :wink:. We opened in Nov 04 I think, and it was the next summer when I started to sell nappies :wink:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:48 am

WeeNotions wrote:
Charliemum wrote:When did you get into making them Suzanne? Wee Notions is now such a big thing in the cloth world :D

Unsurprisingly after getting Bambino Mio, I decided I wanted to have a go at shaped ones, we started Wee Notions originally to make clothes. I had a pair of fleece dungarees that were perfect over his cloth nappies, and I was lost when he outgrew them. I looked everywhere to find some more and couldn't find any. That is when I decided to get my sewing machine out :wink:. We opened in Nov 04 I think, and it was the next summer when I started to sell nappies :wink:

You modest thing!!!!

Interesting to hear about your journey to where you are now! :D :D

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:51 pm

i did start to research cloth nappies as a childminder who supplies the nappies while kids are with me, when i had a 2 children almost full time in nappies and i was getting through a pack and a half a week. - i didn't take the plunge then (kids now 5 and nearly 5).

then thought about it again when i had another 2 children in nappies and actually sat down and did calculations :oops: of how many times i would need to change each nappy before it became free :lol: :lol: :lol: . that's how i found little lambs as they had everything i would need like buckets and stuff and enough nappies to save up for a wash and dry and use again.

did do the nappy lady thingy and got recommended bumbles and fluffles so got a couple of those each and tried a tots bamboozle.

then i started to get a little addicted to trying out other nappies as and when they got a mention on BC like the bg craze!

Then when I found out I was preg, I stocked up on bamboo terries as I didn't want to spend loads on tiny nappies and small wraps when everyone thought I was going to have a BIG baby.

Now we are just completely addicted and cloth use is the only thing in the whole of motherhood which went to plan 99.9% (the 0.1% being SCBU)

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 pm

A friend at my toddler group used cloth and she got me thinking. She suggested I could borrow some of her infant kushies as her LO had outgrown them. This was back in september, and as we were planning on travelling quite a bit in october, november and december I thought it would be best to wait.
It wasnt until she reminded me beginning of this month that I'd thought about using cloth. I did try her kushies but didnt like them so I went on the internet and OMG...! I got bitten by the bug fast, I saw a website where they had a 20% sale on bamboozles and I just bought them.

So eventhough the internet introduced me to the vast range of nappies, if it wasnt for my friend asking less than 3 weeks ago I dont think we'd be using them now... :D

My avatar
ginchyworld
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby ginchyworld » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:19 pm

I was a member of a wedding board that had some dyed in the wool clothies, so I watched them investigate it when they had their kids. I was reasonably well informed by the time I got pregnant, and actually being pregnant only added fuel to the fire. I have to admit though, that I am a holiday and night dispicable user. I just haven't been able to control the rashes Bella gets wearing cloth overnight, so we got dispicables then.

Most people I know think I'm completely crazy for using cloth nappies. I can't see that it's really any more work than disposables having used both. It's not like I spend hours of my day washing and drying and folding or anything! I'm not sure where this perception that cloth is super hard work comes from, I mean we wash our own underwear don't we?????

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:07 pm

I was very suspicious on the mulitinational huge advertising thing on dispicables and knew there had to be an alternative. I got in touch with a local Lollipop agent, saw some nappies and bought some in a trial pack which the councul subsidised. I then had to change them as DS was so big! when born. I was also ill so he didnt get into them till 3 months. But he and DD have been nappied very happily ever since in them and I really dont like dispicables now at all.

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:25 pm

It was through a parenting site called UKPL (**uk parents lounge) and they had a small section on cloth nappies. I read through a few posts and liked the idea of saving money (haha) and saving the environment too, so i asked a few questions and got lots of helpful advice, at the time it all seemed very bewildering though!!
I then purchased my 1st pocket nappy and the rest as they say is history! :D :D Dh wasn't very keen at all to begin with but he's slowly come around. More because i do 90% of the changes anyway but also has i refused to buy anymore disps for him to use so i showed him how easy fuzzis and the like were and he happily uses them now. :D

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:25 pm

WeeNotions wrote:

I w0uld definately say that!!!! Y0u must be s0 pr0ud t0 read every0ne raving ab0ut y0ur nappies.

Interesting t0 read y0r st0ry, s0 glad y0u decided t0 get y0ur sewing machine 0ut :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat