probably a silly question...

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

probably a silly question...

Postby aimeet » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to nappies but need some help. I am expecting in April and have been getting my stash sorted, lolts of lovely newborn fluff, I love it. I have gone for easy ones like tots and bamboozles, a few 'posh' nappies like mutts and blueberries. Most of my stash is preloved so I can afford to experiment a bit.

I have a couple of questions to ask though:

1) I don't have a tumble drier so can I put any cotton/bamboo nappies on the radiator or will it damage them? I know that wraps can't go on one and I can get them dry on the airer anyway but wondered about winter drying.

2)can I wash my nappies in ecover or similar washing products and should I use powder or liquid?

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions but I can't experiment yet due to lack of a tiny bum on which to put them!

thanks- Aimee :idea:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: probably a silly question...

Postby Frances » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:08 pm

:idea: Aimee
aimeet wrote:1) I don't have a tumble drier so can I put any cotton/bamboo nappies on the radiator or will it damage them? I know that wraps can't go on one and I can get them dry on the airer anyway but wondered about winter drying.

You can put cotton on radiators, but bamboo will deteriorate if placed on direct heat; the fibres break up. I tumble sometimes, but in winter mainly dry all my nappies on a rack near a radiator. You'll find that cotton dries much quicker than bamboo - my cotton nappies dry in 24 hours near a radiator, bamboo can take more like two or three days. Best to factor that in when buying your stash! Bamboo is generally much more absorbent than cotton though, and is an 'eco' crop, so is my favourite fabric for nappies.

aimeet wrote:2)can I wash my nappies in ecover or similar washing products and should I use powder or liquid?

I didn't find that Ecover cleaned my nappies properly - a lot of people on here use Bold two-in-one powder; I find that a 1/4 dose is perfect.

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:02 am

I have some airers that hang off the radiator - so can be closer and take less time to dry - I never tumble mine.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:05 am

aimeet wrote:1) I don't have a tumble drier so can I put any cotton/bamboo nappies on the radiator or will it damage them? I know that wraps can't go on one and I can get them dry on the airer anyway but wondered about winter drying.

I agree with frances, and I never out any nappies that have elastic in them on the rads either, i only ever put prefolds on there...
I do tumble all my nappies though when i need to :)

aimeet wrote:2)can I wash my nappies in ecover or similar washing products and should I use powder or liquid?

i use powder but thats only becuase thats what we have and use for all the washing...

Congrats on the :pregnant:

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:40 pm

I don't use Ecover but I do use a similar eco-friendly French detergent (liquid) and I find it cleans every bit as nicely as Bold 2-in-1 did, and it rinses out in one rinse instead of 7 :-?. I know you're technically not supposed to use fabric softener but I usually throw in half a capful of Ecover FS (I think it's plant-based rather than petroleum-based so is OK?) and have never found it to have the slightest detrimental effect on my nappies - quite the opposite, if I forget to put it in or after a strip wash they never feel quite as soft! Especially if you're not able to tumble-dry them at all, it will help them stay softer. :wink:

My avatar
clarge
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby clarge » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:58 pm

aimeet wrote:
1) I don't have a tumble drier so can I put any cotton/bamboo nappies on the radiator or will it damage them? I know that wraps can't go on one and I can get them dry on the airer anyway but wondered about winter drying.

2)can I wash my nappies in ecover or similar washing products and should I use powder or liquid?

1) I put inserts on the rads only, not good for the elastic. Put them on the airer nr the rad. I tumble some of my fitteds for 10 mins after drying to soften them up, but only certain ones need this, IE plain cotton or bamboo, the obv ones dont need it. I dont tumble pockets or wraps though.

2) I have heard that ecover isnt that great. I used bold 2 in 1 for a while but recently switched to Ariel Bio and found it better. I always use powder as it is better for your machine.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:24 am

I find Ecover is great, either liquid or powder, as long as you add some Ecover laundry bleach as well. I also like the Ecover reill system,- it's well worth seeing if you have a refil point near you! And you can get Ecover powder in 10KG sacks, if you look for it, which is much cheaper than the silly little boxes you can get in supermarkets!

However, I find ecoballs with Ecover laundry bleach best of all for nappies, (and all light coloured washing actually - don't use the LB for dark loads, just the ecoballs) . The ecoballs stain remover is far too fiddly, but 15 mls of Ecover LB does the job beautifully, and is simple to use. I also use Ecover fabric softener. I have never found fabric softener made that much difference to the absorbency of nappis, but certainly makes a difference to the softness. I think the absorbency thing is very minimal!

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks ladies, I am hoping that I won't have to buy a diff type of laundry product as we use an eco friendly stuff already, I like the idea of the laundry balls too- works out soooo much cheaper. I will continue to use my eco friendly stuff and may experiment with other stuff. Cheers xx A

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat