hf1

Help needed for a newbie :)

My avatar
Mummyof3xxx
Clothie
Clothie

Help needed for a newbie :)

Postby Mummyof3xxx » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:32 am

Hi everyone, I am a newbie to washable nappies, I have always used disposable, don't know why! I have recently been given a load of cotton bottoms, it might be easier if I take pics of what I have, but I have the waterproof outers with velcro fastening, and the rectangle fabric that folds into 3 to make the pad?? Also a load of flushable liners, would I need anything else with these? Or if these are no good, can you advise me what would be best? My daughter is 10 months next week, so going on weight she would be a medium or size 2.

Thanks in advance xx

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Help needed for a newbie :)

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:43 am

They are prefolds and covers...there is a section for those here
viewforum.php?f=10

basically prefolds can be used by themselves if you fold them prefold into three so that its a pad like you aid and then lay it in the cover, you can either use a flushable liner or a fleece/minkee liner which will keep you babies bottom dry. Becuase prefolds are flat nappies and dont have elasticed leg bits you can find that they leak onto the covers more than a fitted nappy, When i used prefolds on my daughter I often folded them onto her and fastened with a nappy nippa as i found this offered better containment, here is a link to show you how...
http://diaperpages.com/pf_folds.php

I dont think that just a prefold and a cover would be enough for nighttime though without some kind of booster of a deddicated night nappy, alot of us use Weenotions night notions for nights or bedbugs and these often come up in the classifieds...

I did find that with prefolds I had to change more often than with our fitted nappies becuase they are only cotton where as we use bamboo fitted nappies but there is no reason you cant just manage with prefolds during the day :)

Also with the wraps, there are lots of different types of wraps, we found motherease wraps (rikki or airflow) better than cotton bottoms wraps and again these can be picked up cheaply in the classifieds section...then there is weenotions where you can buy pretty embroidered ones etc...

ETA at 10 months you probably need a large :)

Hope that helps!

My avatar
Mummyof3xxx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mummyof3xxx » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:55 am

Fab thanks hun, so if I use the prefold on her as you did with nappy nippa, then I just put a waterproof wrap over that? Even though she is 10 months she is diddy for her age, probably 16-18lbs. xxx

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:47 am

No worries, yep just put the prefold on and nippa it and then put the wrap over the top :)

If you wanted advice on fitteds then there is a section for those too and personally i like dunk n fluffs, goodmamas, hollow oak, little lambs bamboo...

if you have any more questions then ask away...we have all been at the begining at some point :)

My avatar
Mummyof3xxx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mummyof3xxx » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:52 am

Brill thanks hunnie for your help, off to look for some girly wraps :giggle:

I feel another addiction setting in :hohoho:

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:58 am

I should have mentioned that with wraps...

If your going to nippa then you can use any wraps (mother ease rikki, airflow, weenotions etc) but if you just going to tri fold the prefold then you need a more fitted wrap (mother ease rikki, thirsties etc).

Wraps like the mother ease airflow and weenotions are a looser fit wrap and they would hold a tri folded prefold in place but closer fitting wraps like thirsties, motherease rikki are all a more fitted wrap and would be fine for use with the prefold however you used it :)

My avatar
babygrowbelly
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby babygrowbelly » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:21 am

I am not one to offer advice as I am new to this too but just wanted to say hi and to let you know to keep asking questions no matter how silly you think they are. I have asked lots (really thick ones too :oops: ) and everyone has been great at helping me 'understand' cloth :hohoho:

Enjoy the new addiction in your life :giggle:

:idea:

Ruth x

My avatar
Mummyof3xxx
Clothie
Clothie

Postby Mummyof3xxx » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:03 pm

ok thanks.. there are lots to choose from.. anyone know any sites to help?? I have found too many sites with too much choice.. I am very indesicive :oops:

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:05 pm

:wine: good luck deffo another addiction (its almost as bad a smy prams ) :oops: weenotions are fab when i tried prefolds i didn't get on with them far prefer pockets or fitteds with wool

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat