hf1

What would you recommend?

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

What would you recommend?

Postby freckle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 pm

I have a friend who is having her third baby and has asked me about cloth. I think if I went into too much detail she would think it was too complicated and pass on it so I want to give her the simplest yet still effective nappies.

I thought bumgenious but do they contain newborn breastfeed poo? What about half a stash of BGs and half a stash of little lambs? Do you think the are easy enough and still work really well?

I don't think she'd be into the pre-fold thing. I thought I would buy her when the baby is born a couple of flashy nappies so she can see what is out there as well.

Thanks xx

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: What would you recommend?

Postby rhead » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:20 pm

I never used pockets on an EBF baby so can't comment on those (though I'm sure lots will :lol:), but we got on really well with Little Lambs, I liked them better than Tots Bots and the bamboo ones worked perfectly for us at night. :mrgreen:

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby daydreamer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 pm

I also never used cloth nappies with an EBF baby but My LO is currently on solids and BF so we have more squidgy than runny. I find BG very rarely leak and I think they're a realitivley easy first time nappy. It might be a good idea to get a couple of fleece liners aswell?

You could maybe get a bambinex teddy nappy too?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:42 pm

Little lambs are a great staple to recommend... I think a mixture of cotton and bamboo ones are good as the bamboo ones can be slower to dry... Personal choice whether to use poppers or aplix or nippa perhaps a mixture again...

I didn't really use them on Grace (I had ONE!) this time but that was experience - bamboozles were a staple for us with Isabelle until I got into the more 'fancy' nappies :giggle: and I think they're fab for beginners as they're reliable and easy to use...

XS fuzzis are also reliable and fab for newborns and littlies but I wouldn't recommend the small WNSS or small ittis as though they were pretty they were a nappy not to be used if we were expecting a poo as they tended to leak...

BGs are ok if new but pre-loved ones the leg elastic tends to have stretched so again containment is rubbish... But they look enormous on a newborn too...

Don't go the prefold route - the absorbency of cotton prefolds is not great, and they tend to leak poo onto the wraps every poo which for us with Isabelle meant I was washing wraps super often...

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:45 pm

I would deffinatly recomend bamboo little lambs...

The only thing with BG's are the leakage issues, i really dont rate them as a napp unless they are stuffed really well and if she needed to start experiementing with different inserts she could get overwhelmed and give up...

What i love about little lambs is you just put it on, wrap over the top and away you go...i loved them with airflow wraps too :wink:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:50 pm

Brilliant!! Thanks ladies!!

I'll tell her that LLs are the ones to go for initially and then can mention the others down the line.

Good tip about the fleece liners, will mention that and also about getting some cotton and some bamboo nappies!

I really hope she does use them!

What are the LL wraps like? I've only used ME ones so I was going to recommend them but if she is already buying the LL nappies if their wraps are good would probably be easier to use theirs.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Sara (littlesez) used them and had no issues with them - I think the aplix went on some but it was a faulty batch and LLs replaced them no issues...

Personally I swear by Weenotions for prettyness with containment, and boring old motherease rikkis for reliability...

I think if she's buying a decent amount she'll get the wraps with them...

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I didnt rate LL wraps at all, im not a fan of the massive 'pooooofyness' of Wn wraps im afraid :oops: my favourite was airflows without a doubt...bombproof...

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I loved our BG on Iris as a newborn - we never had a problem with absorbency or leaks. You change a newborn so often that the inserts that come with the BG easily holds up during early days. DH also found them very easy to use, so that helped convert him to cloth - always a bonus. They worked so much better than the BBOS that we tried when Iris was tiny; they were next to useless as we always got leg gape. I think the minkee was too inflexible to fit neatly around skinny newborn legs, unlike the thinner material of a BG. Oh, and I also really like Sandy's on Iris. I found that the serged legs stopped leaks much more effectively then our Tots Bots. HTH

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat