hf1

Aaargh why do they say that using cloth is a hassle?

My avatar
girlinleeds
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru

Re: Aaargh why do they say that using cloth is a hassle?

Postby girlinleeds » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:49 am

my best mate think i'm a hippy as pippa's cloth bummed, blw and i baby wear, i tried to explain to her whilst she was :pregnant: about cloth and she just said she has better things to do with her time :x my mil was dead against cloth till i showed her them and now she's the biggest cloth supporter going she's trying to convert the world even my fil likes them, there always asking about new ones. i just ignore the uneducated, can't wait till summer and pippa can run around in her pretty nappies uncovered by clothes :giggle:

My avatar
bedheaduk
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby bedheaduk » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:32 pm

Another breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth nappying hippy here :hohoho: I tend to not bother telling people any more unless they ask. My mum thinks I'm slightly loopy using cloth, but she copes. We are taking ours to Mallorca in May, we have a washer and sposie make him sore, and I can't wait to see him running around in the sun with his yummy nappies on show.
xx

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:51 pm

My mum is desperately trying to convince me to use sposies on Bella atm, to "give you (me) a break from all that washing" :roll: I had far more (nasty smelly) washing when she was in sposies due to all the poo leaks. I was so glad to get Bella back into her cloth after our week away, even if she's outpeeing them all again *sigh*

Mum is also saying I will HAVE to use sposies on the new baby when he arrives - er no. I might use them in hospital, if I end up staying in for any length of time, but otherwise he will be in cloth asap. No 6 weeks of sposies for this one, thank you!

Needless to dsay, I generally ignore what my mum says :giggle:

My avatar
Kitartas
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Kitartas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:03 pm

tanya2007 wrote:
Needless to dsay, I generally ignore what my mum says :giggle:

ha ha good choice i think

i've been lucky i think - i had a few comments when i was pregnant that i must be nuts to use cloth but then i pointed out that i used terry squares with the boys and MCNs have got to be easier - and surprisingly i haven't had a negative comment since evie was born

who knows what they're thinking - as long as they're not saying anything about it PMSL

My avatar
TheNatty
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby TheNatty » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 pm

yes i am weird too. what is with that? if you want to parent in anyway that is different u are strange. i remember when i had my oldest i was weird for refusing to give my son jars and wanting everything to be homemade.
now im weird for doing BLW, but everyone makes their own purees... im sure they will catch up soon :wink:

my mum thinks its a good idea, my dad makes funny comments. 'poor little ellen in a woolly skirt in this heat' :giggle:

im lucky tho i have my best friend who is a CN nutter too :)

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:59 pm

princessliana wrote:Iam often referred to as an earth mama! :bf: is weird enough for ppl let alone cloth nappies! :hohoho:

Same here.
If I get the too much hasstle reply I tend to walk away....lol Only because I'd end up arguing my point :giggle:

I hinted at cloth nappies at nursery today they were talking about PT and nappies. One lady said her son will only wear the most expensive pull ups with the patterns on. I said you should get some fancy cloth nappies :giggle: to be continued as I was interupted by the doors opening. I think I'll take my emerald BBOS, I wish I hadn't sold all my embroidered nappies! On a mission now. They are all entitled to £45 vouchers too. I will convert at least one of them :giggle:

EDT- oooh nappuchino's tomorrow! maybe Lisa will let me take her embroiderd WN pockets for an hour or so.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:43 pm

I've been told I have too much time on my hands if I can use cloth. but really, it probably takes an extra 10-15mins every 2 days so not much & takes less time than changing a full outfit every time a sposie leaks!

I've managed to semi convert a friend of mine (she uses cloth part time). She was having trouble with her ds sposies leaking at night so I lent her a WNNN & a fleece soaker & it was the 1st time she didn't have to change the whole cot in the morning. She was so impressed she bought a couple of her own (and AI2s :giggle: ) When people have asked about washing she just said she was having to change his whole bed everyday anyway so it's easier to wash a nappy than all the bedding!

To be fair I used to be one of those people & always said I'd never use cloth then I 'converted' when dd1 was 18months. I'm a total addict now with a stash2 or 3 times bigger than I need! :oops: Good thing it was never about saving money for me! :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby holmes2974 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm a member of an NCT gaggle of mums, and was really surprised to find I was the only one using cloth. I think they all think I'm some mad mother earth type, particularly when I was the only one to do baby-led weaning too!
The thing that really annoys me as well is that they all start trying to tell me that I'm not really being environmentally conscious, or economical, as they think the cost of washing, powder etc negates any environmental benefits.
Of course they're probably right that I'm not making any financial saving as the cloth nappies are so addictive that you end up buying far too many (but I haven't told them that!!)

My avatar
Miranda
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Miranda » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:35 am

What I always used to do whenever anyone passed comment such as 'Oh no I wouldn't use cloth, it's far too much like hard work'
is ask:

'So do tell me then, what on earth did you find hard work about using cloth?' :shock:

to which they would reply

'oh ah er no, I've never actually used them' :oops:

so I would then reply along the lines of

'well isn't that strange, I'm sure you're now going to tell me you don't find running out of nappies at 10 at night and having to go shopping for them all the time, or having to put bin bags of rubbbish out every day hassle, but frankly I found that MUCH harder work than switching the washing machine on every other day and letting the machine do the work'' :roll:

And sometimes it then got people thinking, and asking questions and using! :giggle:

(It is actually quite hard to keep a straight face when asking 'so what did you find hard work about using cloth then?' You must use the 'what? or 'why did you find it hard work then?' as it's an open ended question they can't just say yes or no to like they can to 'did you use cloth?', which is how you get the confession of non-use - but very well worth the effect!!)
Enjoy using !!

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat