hf1

cloth in hospital?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: cloth in hospital?

Postby megansmummy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 pm

I have had 2 c-sections and the reason that I decided not to use cloth from birth were that I knew my mobility would be really limited...I was unable to change either kids nappy for the first 24 hours (not EM CS but I was awake with a spinal block during the section) and had to either ask hubby or a midwife to change him/her so I didnt want to be worried about wether they knew how to use cloth etc...With megan hubby wouldnt have had a clue as she was our first and with kieren he spent alot of time looking after megan and didnt get to visit as much so i relied on the staff alot more and they wouldnt have known what to do...and also with both sections I spent 4 days in hospital which meant that hubby would have had to bring the nappies home to wash etc and i simply didnt want to put more pressure on him...

That said if we go for number 3 then i would love to use cloth from bith but will have another c-section :-?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:44 pm

What a load of rollocks, my hospital have giant nappy buckets on the ward launder 100s of cloth nappies each day and haven't been shut down for hygiene issues.

Fraid I can't really help, my hossie supply cloth

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm hoping to use cloth this time, although I may take some sposies as well. Depends how long we end up in as listening to my DH complain (and expect praise) just for doing a little bit of washing is probably more than a sleep-deprived mummy can take :wink:

My avatar
tracedw
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby tracedw » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:24 pm

My last cs was 10 months ago and only used cloth when i got home as the hospital said no to cloth , also my DH was not familiar with washing nappies ( actually not familiar with washing anything) as we had used sposies with the other 2.
I bought 1 pack of eco sposies and that was it, when they had gone i went straight into cloth but i was in hospital for 4 days so they had pretty much been used up by then anyway.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Postby beck » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:34 pm

When Will was born I used a mixture while in hospital and we were in for 4 days (didn't have a CS tho) I would send the nappies home with DP and he would just wash them but then he already had to wash all of Phebies anyway as she was still in cloth so it wasn't a bother for him.

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:47 pm

Thank you ladies this is all really useful!

I have to be honest, whilst I would love to use cloth from the get go, there are three things bothering me:

* The mobility thing after C section
* Storing them and potentially facing disapproval from other mums on the ward
* Trusting DH to wash them and bring back clean ones!

I will have a chat to him and see what he thinks, I suppose I could always take a mix and see how I got on....

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:57 pm

Hi,
I had a c sec,
I chose not to use cloth in hospital as i knew i wouldn't be able to move! I really struggled when I got home too so hubby was doing all nappy changes getting her dressed everything cooking for the first 10 days so we didn't use cloth until i was up and about properly at about 11 days!
only as it was enough of a shock for hubby having to look after me plus the three children he would not have coped with washing too! or remembering to bring me clean stuff in hospital etc
bless him he is a pro now! and did so well looking after us in the first weeks!

good luck and will really depend on your support as to what you decide to do, ...

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat