hf1

I am no good at cloth nappy using :( Help!!

My avatar
staceybear
Clothie
Clothie

I am no good at cloth nappy using :( Help!!

Postby staceybear » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:46 am

Hello! I feel I am completely hopeless at this! Why can't I get the hang of it!!
I hate the liners, then just stick to Amelies bum, so have just bought some fleece and going to have a go at making some fleece liners...will this be ok for a 6 week old breastfed baby who's poo's squirt everywhere??
This morning, she woke up soaking as she wee'd so much it seemed to leak through the liner! Do I need to do something different at night time?
Also, I only have 7 nappies as they have been lent to me, and it just isnt enough! How many would you recommend? (just been looking through the classifieds, but I don't even know which ones to buy!!!) I am using lollipops bamboo (so take ages to dry too!)
And finally, what on earth do I do when out and about?! If I am out all day do I need to just take all of my nappies with me? or disposables as an emergency?
Oooh sorry for all the questions, I just really want to use these, I love all of the benefits they have, and also, don't want to give up and have to put up with 'i told you so' from all the real nappy haters!!!

Thanks in advance for any help!!! Stacey xx

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: I am no good at cloth nappy using :( Help!!

Postby ladybird » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:55 am

What liners are you using? Paper ones? Tbh we ditched them completely, but if you're going to use something then yes, fleece would be my preference. Just find an old fleece blanket or something and cut it up, it doesn't need hemming even.

I'm not sure what you mean by soaked through the liner? The liner won't hold any wee. As long as the nappy has held all the wee in and she hasn't leaked out of the cover then she's fine. But generally most people find they need to use a more absorbent nappy at night, or boost what they are using.

Generally you'll find you need around 20 nappies, but this depends on how often you wash and how you dry, you need to find what works for you. I'd guess that most cloth addicts have way over 20 :lol:

When out and about just take enough for the time you'll be out, and maybe add an extra just in case, at least to begin with. Get yourself a wet bag (WeeNotions do fab bags) to put the wet/dirty ones in and deal with them when you get home. You shouldn't need disposables at all once you have enough cloth nappies. I think I last bought a packet of disposables 3 or 4 yrs ago and it's still half full.

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:56 am

i wouldn't even attempt to use a disposible liner for a brest fed baby fleece is far better tho brest fed poo ggets every where imo but just washes out in washing machine i am not sure what you meen that it leaked through the liner but i think most people change the nappy through the night at such a young age due to how much milk they are still having at night i wouldn't be happy with anything less than 24 napies they can very easily be used whilst out and about you can either put them in a nappy sack or purchase a wet bag then just sort it out when you get home hope this helps a bit

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 am

And as for what to buy, have a look around, buy a selection and find out what you like best. Generally my preference would be bamboo every time. And snaps over velcro, but everyone has different likes and dislikes and babies come in all shapes and sizes so you need to get into the buying and selling until you find what's right for you! It's fun too :lol:

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:03 am

Don't give up just yet Stacey :hug:

You're right 7 nappies, especially bamboo, are nowhere near enough. When I was starting I was told to have at least 2 dozen to have 'enough' to get by. I think a minimum stash of 30 is probably best, unless you just can't help yourself and end up with 70+ like an addict like me :oops: :giggle:

You're in the right place looking on classifieds. That's what i did to start with, bought ones I liked the look of, tried them, if I like them I've still got them, if they didn't really work for us I've sold them on. The good thing about buying pre-loved is you can get some bargains and try out different types without the expense of buying new.

For going out, well your LO is still very young and I did find at that age I had to take some sposies out as back up, I've even had to buy a whole pack because we had unexpected poos while we were out. I've only used about 3 from the pack and they're still sitting in my nursery now having been out grown :roll: I eventually packed up all the nappies I'd normally use in a day in the nappy bag and then use them from the bag even at home, I still do this most days, just in case we decide to go out. You will start using less nappies in a day eventually, think I found around 4 months we started averaging 5 nappies a day, plus a night nappy :D

About night nappies, yes you'll probably find you need to use different nappies, with more boosting at night. Though I think even using sposies I was still changing DD during most nights at 6 weeks because we'd have the odd poo or she just wouldn't settle because she wasn't comfy. I still find if she's being restless in the early hours now she'll settle better if I change her nappy :wink:

Don't give up, slowly build your stash with nappies you like the look of and use sposies as back up until your happy :D

ETA Oh yea and ditch the paper liners, non are better TBH. If there's poo stains after you wash, stick them in the sun, even through a window, it works like magic :mrgreen:

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:11 am

Hello fellow Stacey :giggle:

staceybear wrote:Hello! I feel I am completely hopeless at this! Why can't I get the hang of it!!
I hate the liners, then just stick to Amelies bum, so have just bought some fleece and going to have a go at making some fleece liners...will this be ok for a 6 week old breastfed baby who's poo's squirt everywhere??

I can't help with this one I'm afraid. Dawn wasn't BF and we used paper liners in yucky awful Bambino Mios :puke:

staceybear wrote:This morning, she woke up soaking as she wee'd so much it seemed to leak through the liner! Do I need to do something different at night time?

Not sure if the problem was the liner or the nappy. Are you boosting more for night time? How often do you change at night, if she's not sleeping through (guessing she's not at 6wks). You really need to give them a huge bum at night time :giggle: Some people find that Microfiber doesn't work for them, as they get compression wicking, but it might help you as it's really fast to absorb. You can get MF towels in Poundland. I cut mine in half and boost with them at night time! Cheap and cheerful!

staceybear wrote:Also, I only have 7 nappies as they have been lent to me, and it just isnt enough! How many would you recommend? (just been looking through the classifieds, but I don't even know which ones to buy!!!) I am using lollipops bamboo (so take ages to dry too!)

That depends on how often you change and how often you wash. We used to was every night, as we only had a handful of nappies. Now we have a few more we can get away with every two days. Dawns got *thinks* about 6 fitteds that we use and a hand full of pockets, plus a couple of NNs. But she's 2 years, not 6 weeks, so obviously you'll need more.
I think the recomendation is 20, but don't quote me on that! :giggle:

staceybear wrote:And finally, what on earth do I do when out and about?! If I am out all day do I need to just take all of my nappies with me? or disposables as an emergency?

I just take a bigger bag, as most nappy bags aren't made for cloth :roll: but I take a selection of ours when out. I used to take a couple of pampers with me as emergencies. but soon stopped as we never used them. But doesnt hurt to keep one in the bag I suppose.

Don't worry about asking questions. it's what we're here for :)

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 am

Oh, and buy Mother And Baby magazine, as there's a voucher at the back, in the adverts, for a FREE Little Lamb nappy and wrap (Feb and March issues both have it in!) :mrgreen:

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:14 am

Great advice there so not much to add from me, other than that we ised the Little Green Earthlets paper liners, much thicker than a lot of other liners and softer, and you can wash them if they're just wet and re used once or twice (i used to iron mine :oops: )

As for numbers, I know people who have managed with 12, but they were microfibre (fluffles and BGs) that they washed every night and dried on the radiator

My avatar
staceybear
Clothie
Clothie

Postby staceybear » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 am

Oh wow thanks everyone! I really am doing it wrong!
Okay,..maybe I worded the liner thing wrong! Umm...what I mean is, he clothes were wet, so somehow seems to have seeped through the liner somewhere,(as in through legs and the top of it) it was up her back, but liner was tightest it would go?
I do usually change her if she is unsettled during the night, but she actually only wakes up once or twice, and I co-sleep so she just feeds and falls asleep, so have just let her sleep and changed her if she wakes and cries. Last night was the first night using them and it just happened to be a night she slept pretty much through!
Yeah, i was using flushable liners, and even as a novice I could see they were no good! So just bought some fleece and am about to start cutting my own :)
Out and about...Looks like I am going to have to start buying! Have actually just PMd a lady about 5 nappies, so that takes me up 12...so 12 more to go!!
I have a motherease rikki wrap that seems great, a bambino mio wrap thats far too small, and onelife wraps which just seem huge, but I use regardless..so think I will stick to motherease.
Thanks for helping me!!! x

Oooh and will go and buy the magazine! fab!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat