hf1

If you were to start all over with nothing...

My avatar
sciencegeek
Clothie
Clothie

If you were to start all over with nothing...

Postby sciencegeek » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:18 am

What would you buy?
I'm sure this has been asked 9000 times before, but I am too baby-brained to search.
We're not due till June so we have time, but we want to spread costs our as much as possible. I am happy to buy pre-loved.

What would you choose with an assumingly breastfed newborn? Did you use disposable at any time?

What brands/ sizes/ types are best for the littest ones that will contain BF poop and not contain the entire baby?
I'm so unsure between two parters and all in one/ pockets.

Is there a type for nighttime that is both mega-absorbant and easy for tired, bleary-eyed new parents to change in the middle of the night?

Feel free to drop on my any advice, experience, warnings, and offers (lol).
Thanks in advance from a spazzy newbie mom-to-be!!

Amy and Mel and fumble return

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: If you were to start all over with nothing...

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:37 am

We had to use disposables when Dawn was born, as our hospital don't allow cloth :( She was in them for about 2 weeks till we used them all up, with the odd cloth bum thrown in there.

When Dawn was tiny, we used Bambino Mios. We bought them while I was pregnant because they were the cheapest. There is a reason they're cheap... :roll: I guess they're ok for a new born as you don't care if they get stained as they're not pretty or anything. :giggle: But I have heard 2 parters are better for NB, as there's two types of 'protection' against the leak, the nappy and then the wrap. But I know people who've used BG's from birth and had no problems.
I can't personally suggest brands, as I only used the Bambino Mio and the Mothercare Smart Nappy when Dawn was little. Then I stupidly went back to disposables :puke: before recently discovering fluff again :giggle:

Nighttime wise, I just used the same nappies as I did in the day, with an extra booster inside. But Dawn used to wake every 4 hours on the dot so she was changed the same as she was during the day anyways, iyswim? By the time she was sleeping through, we'd gone back to despicables :cry:

My other bit of advice would be to stick at it :)
Oh and try not to get annoyed when people ask you if you're a hippy/if you really put POO in your washing machine/if they smell or tell you "Pampers are better" :roll: :roll:

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:56 am

I would buy some swaddlebee newborn pre-loved, some muttaqin newborn, small dunk n fluff and small northern lights oh and a puddlekin ummm and some weenotion one size pockets and tots bots bamboozles for night times, and some tots wraps as they are easy to use!

My avatar
toothlesswonder
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby toothlesswonder » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 am

I've two in cloth now, and my youngest, Tate has been in cloth since birth - he's a month old today, and i swear by Little Lambs. I have a mix of bamboo and cotton with a couple of microfibre, but the bamboo and cotton ones are great - i'/ve had the occasional leak, but that's more to do with me not putting the nappy on tight enough - i took all the applix off and now use nippas to get a good fit on him.

IMO there's plenty of time yet for 'fancy' nappies - can't see the point atm because of staining ect.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:04 am

My newborn list would be~
Xs and s Thirsties, i loved these on DS
Xs and s motherease sandies
s Dunk n Fluff
s Hollow oak
Size 1 bamboo little lambs (cheap and fab IMO)

Alot of wool covers/longies etc with a few pul wraps thrown in there too...we didnt start with wool untill K was about 4 months old and use it pretty much 100% of the time now :)

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 am

I only started DS in washables at 6 months, so I am starting from scratch with number 2 as want to start from birth.

I may well have chosen wrongly, but I've decided for the first couple of weeks to use folded muslins with cheapo wraps I've bought off here. In an ideal world I'd get me Rikki's as I found these brilliant on DS, but couldn't justify forking out lots of money for what might only be 2 weeks worth of wear.

I've then bought off here a couple of small itti's that dh can use (yes, i succumbed to the touchy feely factory), and a few medium's too, just to see how they go. DH would never be bothered folding muslins, so it seemed like an easy option. Although I'm not convinced it'll work as I do like the reassurance of double barrier when using a separate wrap.

Once we've sussed whether either of these options work, I'll then go and buy either more of the itti's or a 2-part system.

I do have a pack of disposables as back up in case this test all goes belly up.

My avatar
toryuk
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby toryuk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 am

We started with cloth when T was a week old - straight into BumGenius v3. We rarely have any leaks with them (and he was bf) and we can still use them as a night nappy (he goes 12 hours without leaks at the moment). I would recommend them purely because they have worked for us, however I know a lot of the ladies would advise a 2 parter, but we have never used them so no experience there for you xx :hug: :hug:

My avatar
bryc1
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby bryc1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:05 am

You have already had some fab advice and suggestions but 1 of my favs with Roxy was small fuzzis, she was :bf: and we started using cloth at 3 wks old about 9lb from memory. I liked our small WNNL and little lamb bamboo size 1 with a small nature babies wrap but prefered the fuzzis for fit and quickness at changing as she hated nappy changes, never had any leaks any of our cloth but did with spoises.

We used sposies at night as wasn't brave enough to use cloth at night.

My avatar
simlou
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby simlou » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:06 am

for the first two weeks we were just too tired to even think about real nappies I'm ashamed to say. As Ewan is our first baby we were busy worrying about things like the umbilical cord dropping off, his dried out skin etc etc. Then when we'd relaxed a bit and got into a bit more of a routine, my fluff addiction started. I wanted something that was easy (my hubbie had just mastered disposables so I stuck to velcro pockets which are as close as you can get). I got some bumgenius v3's and blueberrys. The bumgenius's are great and fit when they are really small but I presonally think the blueberrys are a bit bulky on a tiny tiny bum....perfect when they are a a few weeks older though! Once hubbie had got his head round these we then ventured into poppers and small itti bittis fit from quite early on (if I put them on, not if hubbie did, then they leaked). I recently got a free bamboo little lamb from a voucher in the mother and baby magazine and thats working well so far - you get a wrap with it but I also have a motherease and a weenotions wrap because I loved the nappy so much I bought a couple more. They are quite traditional but gorgeous and fluffy and I think Ewan looks really snuggly and like a baby in his. i didn't want to get all fancy nappies for his when he is still a newborn if you know what I mean, didn't want him to be grown up too soon I suppose!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat