hf1

If you were to start all over with nothing...

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: If you were to start all over with nothing...

Postby 50ftQueenie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:09 am

I would definitely splash out on a couple of Goodmama newborns because they are delicious! :giggle: My SIL is :pregnant: and lives in the States so I will ordering a couple to be delivered to her, oh and a tiny Bedbug too, oh and some wool.......

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:29 am

my newbaby nappy list would be:

xs & s motherease sandies (a mix of the cotton and the bamboo)
size 1 bamboo little lambs
Motherease wraps (for the durability and reliability)
Nature babies wraps (for some cuteness)
Fleece or wool for overnight

jan x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:41 am

sciencegeek wrote:What would you buy?
I'm sure this has been asked 9000 times before, but I am too baby-brained to search.
We're not due till June so we have time, but we want to spread costs our as much as possible. I am happy to buy pre-loved. What would you choose with an assumingly breastfed newborn? Did you use disposable at any time?

I never used disposables, we used cloth straight from birth

I would buy
XS sandies
Size 0 Bimbles and bambeasies
NB Puddlekins
XS Dunk n Fluffs
S Jimmy Riddles
NB Hollow Oaks
XS and S WeeNotions Northern Lights

XS and S WeeNotions wraps
XS and S Rikki wraps

Lots of wool and fleece ( I don't use PUL wraps at all, much prefer the breathabillity of fleece and wool although it's probably a good idea to have a few wraps as you do get quite a few poo leaks onto the wrap to start with)

sciencegeek wrote:What brands/ sizes/ types are best for the littest ones that will contain BF poop and not contain the entire baby?
I'm so unsure between two parters and all in one/ pockets.

I never used pockets until DD was starting to wean as they are more prone to leak with newborn bf poo but some people have had sucess with XS fuzzis and BGs from birth or at least a few weeks old. You could aways get a few to try and see how you get on.

sciencegeek wrote:Is there a type for nighttime that is both mega-absorbant and easy for tired, bleary-eyed new parents to change in the middle of the night?

You won't need a dedicated night nappy to start with as you'll be changing during the night as most newborns poo at virtually every feed. You'll probably be ok with boosting any day fitted nappy to start with.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:11 pm

I'll be using mostly size 1 Diddy Diapers, Size 0 Bimbles, XS Sandies and Size 1 Little Lambs. These all have good containment and absorbency for newborns, arent overly expensive, and fit from birth. I also have a dozen motherease shaped flat terries which were great last time, although Im not sure you can get them anymore. Bamboo terries are great too, and I have 5 40cm terries and 5 50cm terries to use.

Also I have/plan to get:

Newborn Swaddlbees OCV
S Northern Lights and SS nappies
NB Hollow Oak nappies
NB DnF
NB Puddlekins

I only have newborn cotton bottoms wraps, which arent the best but they work fine but all the length of time they'll be used, plus I got them for £1 each new! I will be getting some XS WN wraps, but I have plenty of woollies knit up so will hopefully be using them most of the time.

I also have some small and OS pockets, but probably wont use them that much. For me, the newborn and small sizes are grown out of so quickly that I dont want to spend huge amounts of money on them - its more about having plenty of nappies to get through all the changes between washing and drying, and spending the money on prettier bigger nappies that will last longer!

We used sposies in the hospital, because they werent very supportive of cloth (and in any case, DH wouldn't have had a clue what to do with bag-fulls of dirty nappies if he took them home :roll: ) but got started on them on day 3 when we got home :D

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:16 pm

My newborn stash is on my blog. I'll admit I've gone a little OTT, but it is yummy.

We'll probably use sposies in hospital - unless I can talk DH round between now and the birth - we have about 1/2 a pack left from last time and then into cloth after a few days. ASAP as far as I'm concerned, depends how long we are in.

My avatar
toothlesswonder
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby toothlesswonder » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 pm

I used cloth in hospital and it was fine - there was actually something useful in the Bounty bag for a change - a waterproof Persil bag which i used to store the dirty nappies until i got home. I too have also used wool constantly since Tate was born - i find it easier the PUL wraps - no red marks where they dig in.

In fact, Tate's first ever nappy and wool was put on by the midwife in the hospital - and here it is..

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 pm

toothlesswonder wrote:I used cloth in hospital and it was fine - there was actually something useful in the Bounty bag for a change - a waterproof Persil bag which i used to store the dirty nappies until i got home. I too have also used wool constantly since Tate was born - i find it easier the PUL wraps - no red marks where they dig in.

In fact, Tate's first ever nappy and wool was put on by the midwife in the hospital - and here it is..

Aww that is such a lovely photo. Gorgeous wool too.

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:36 pm

toothlesswonder wrote:I used cloth in hospital and it was fine - there was actually something useful in the Bounty bag for a change - a waterproof Persil bag which i used to store the dirty nappies until i got home. I too have also used wool constantly since Tate was born - i find it easier the PUL wraps - no red marks where they dig in.

lovely pic and wool :)

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:42 pm

With Charlotte we used disps for about 4 days until we came home from hospital but then threw ourselves into cloth fulltime. I had 25 MEOS and ME wraps and got on fine like that for a few months until people lured me away with cute colourful nappies :giggle:

Ben was in cloth from birth. And I managed to try quite a few small nappies so I think if we had another then I would have:

some Little lamb bamboo
some small fuzzis
a few swaddlebees OV onesize
a few medium Itti Bittis (Ben fitted into these from 2 months old)
a couple of Happy Heiny onesize pockets

Oh and a selection of Wee Notions

ME Rikki wraps
some woollies - would have to have a think

I have sold all the small stuff now so it would be exciting to start newborn shopping :giggle:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat