hf1

Walking problem?

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Walking problem?

Postby freckle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:38 am

Although Oz has been waking for a number of months he still is very unsteady on his feet and I've been noticing more and more when he first stands up or start to walk from standing still for a bit his legs seem to go funny ways - it's almost like instead of his leg going backward and forward it out and around - if that makes sense - hard to describe. He ends up walking in a bit of a circle.

I mentioned it to the HV who asked what nappies he was using and when I said cloth she thought it could be linked - my mum said something similar. Obviously cloth has been around a lot longer than disposables so I can't see it being a sole cause but has anyone else dealt with anything similar?

I'll need to take him to the doctors i think just to get it checked but just wanted to arm myself with some facts about cloth otherwise have a feeling I will just be told to switch to disposables to see if it solves the problem - which honestly if it did I would do but don't want to make the switch if it's not down to cloth.

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Walking problem?

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:47 am

I am no expert but if it down to cloth alone surely all babies who wear cloth would walk like it :-?

Sounds more like a hip problem maybe :-? and i suppose bulk between the legs could make it more pronounced :-?

I would get it checked out with the doctor as it may be nothing to worry about at all :D

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:54 am

You're right, cloth nappies have been around for a lot longer than sposies and its a complete myth (and advertising ploy of sposie manufacturers) that babies need slim nappies to move around. Cloth nappies are actually better for babies who have hip problems, as it keeps them in the right position. A baby who wants to move will do so regardless of how big their bum is, and even if they do have to make more of an effort, thats not a bad thing. Your HV was just trying to quickly "solve" the problem, but her ideas about cloth nappies being the problem are unfounded.

You can always try a sposie and see how he gets on - but then again he may walk differently due to the sposie, which could hide an underlying problem if there was one. How does he walk with no nappy on? I doubt your cloth nappies are as huge as the 4 terries and rubber pants my mum said she had to use on me as a toddler!

Some toddlers just have strange movements - my friends baby crawled with one leg dragging behind her, which she really worried about, but it turns out she just learnt to crawl that way and was quite happy with it! A nappy wont restrict normal development, but hopefully your doc will be more sympathetic and be able to reassure you that everythings fine :hug:

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:59 am

TBH I doubt very much its anything to do with his nappies.

Research suggests that it's actually the very thin disposable nappies that's causing a lot of hip/walking problems in babies nowadays, not cloth. In several countries (Australia is one I'm sure) the dr's/HV's actually recommend and perscribed cloth nappies, good old fashioned bulky terries to help correct clicky hips.

The fabric between babies legs helps hold the hips in place, whereas with the paper thin disposables the legs fall inwards, together and put inward pressure on the hips. If your lo has a little bit of a hip problem the cloth, if anything, will probably be helping him not hindering him.

Get him checked out if you're worried but most babies, even those who walk early, can take months before they're properly steady on their feet as they're still learning and adjusting :)

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks ladies this is exactly what I needed to hear!! He wears sposies at night and still does this walk in the mornings sometimes.

Just needed some reassurance so if the doctor does try to solve it with telling me to use disposables I wont be tricked into it. It probably is just something that will correct itself in time but Zach was so early on his feet and advanced so fast so I have to remember not to compare them :oops: Will get it checked just to be safe

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Yep, cloth is GREAT for supporting the hips. DD had a queried clicky hip when she was born (DH had hip displacia as a newb so what with all her other problems they were on high alert!) and her neonatologist was thrilled when he found out we planned to use cloth because he felt it was so much more supportive for children already facing walking challenges.

DD has cerebral palsy (right hemiplegia) and had a lot of problems with walking, and we've seen a lot of physios and doctors and occupational health bods, and every single one has been a) fully supportive of our choice to use cloth and b) impressed with how attractive they are! We've never ever been told that it is detrimental, quite the opposite. If anyone says this to you, especially if they are rude, get their name and write a letter of complaint! They'd never dare to attribute walking problems to method of feeding etc, for fear of offending people, but using cloth seems to be fair game for stupid (and inaccurate) criticism. :evil:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat