Help! Is this heavy wetting?

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Help! Is this heavy wetting?

Postby holmes2974 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 pm

Hello all
Hoping you might be able to give me some advice please?
My DD1 is in swaddlebees organic velour one-size fitted, and has always worn them with no problems - can only ever remember them leaking once.
DD2 is quite a different matter, and I'm going through quite a few different nappies to find one that suits her (having fun buying and trying all of them though! :oops: ). The swaddlebees just don't seem to fit her right yet, and having been on this site for a week or so I've discovered a whole new world - I'm now trying various different pockets. Only trouble is, she seems to leak in them all and I'm not sure if this is just a pocket thing (are they more likely to leak) or whether she's a heavier wetter. We've tried some BGs V3, which I really like, but she leaks around the legs after 2 hours with only one of the MF in, or after about 2-3 if I put both in. So far she seems to be OK in coolababys if I use both inserts for about 3 hours. Have bought a couple of gorgeous WNs, but don't yet have any inserts to fit so that I can try them.
Please tell me if I'm being unrealistic, and should expect to change her this often - it's just that DD1 would easily last 4 hours in hers with no leaks and has gone longer if we've been out and have forgotten :oops:
Sorry for the essay!!!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Help! Is this heavy wetting?

Postby megansmummy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:15 pm

I wouldnt say that was heavy wetting tbh, i dont use MF at all becuase i find we get compression leaks alot with it, with pockets i think changing every 3 hours in average and would be fine, some people have to use alot more than a couple of MF inserts to get 3 hours out of a pocket! :wink:

If you wanted a bit longer than you could add an easy peasy hemp under the MF or take out the MF and use a p'tit dessous bamboo with a hemp under etc...

My avatar
VICKERSHOUSE
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby VICKERSHOUSE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Don't only use the microfibre inserts that come with bg nappies, add either some hemp (easy peasy hemp inserts are excellent) or bamboo underneath and you should find they will last longer.
(I learnt that trick from on here too)

hth Nancy

My avatar
moonfruit
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby moonfruit » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:27 pm

I have to use bamboo and hemp in pockets and these last between 2-3 hours. I also find mf is bad for wicking

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:32 pm

BG's only ever lasted us a max of 2 hours. Microfibre is not particularly absorbant. Your weenotions should be fine with some bamboo/hemp combinations as suggested above. Just don't make the same mistake as me and put a booster in thinking it is an insert :hohoho: :doh:

Luckily I have a bit more experience now :wink:

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:29 pm

3 hours is fantastic using only microfibre imo

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:37 pm

I would get about 30 minutes out of a microfibre insert! :wink:

Get some hemp or bamboo inserts to go underneath your bg inserts and you'll notice a world of difference! If you can get 2 hours with 1 bg micrfibre insert then you should easily get 3 hours by adding a hemp or bamboo insert :D

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:25 pm

I would say as a general rule fitteds and wraps are more reliable than pockets, but we hardly ever get leaks with our WNs now (did at first, not sure if DD is wetting less now or it's just that I'm using better inserts :-?). I'd definitely recommend not using MF inserts if you want to make them last longer... a quick spin in the tumble dryer can seal up any holes in the PUL around the seams as well. :wink:

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat