in need of help

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

in need of help

Postby beck » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:33 am

Hi girls

I need your help, all my nappies are really smelly. I've tried washing them with no detergent, hot wash, cold wash, drying in the sun, drying in the tumble dryer, vinger, lavendar or tea tree oil, and I use minimal powder when I use it and I change her regularly.

Its really bothering me because the smell is quite strong, I dont like it when other people hold her because I know they can smell it too and I'd hate for them to think that I dont wash her properly or something.

I'm even going to say something that most of you thought you'd never hear me say........ It's kind of putting me off using cloth :shock: EEECKK!!!

Any suggestions - besides buying new nappies, although I'd love to can't really justify it!

BECK : )

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:14 am

This may sound really silly but have you tried washing them (just the once mind) with more detergent than you'd normally use? Sometimes they need a really good wash... You could always wash them again with no detergent after to make sure it's all rinsed out...

Second suggestions is a cold-prewash to rinse the wee out before you wash them...

Do you do an extra rinse at the end of the wash?

Teething wee can be very strong smelling and I've had nappies I've just put on smell really bad as soon as she's done just a teeny bit of wee!

Hope that helps

Steph xx

My avatar
lilylover
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby lilylover » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:46 am

I don't have any other suggestions than whats been mentioned but wanted to ask have your nappies been rained on? My nappies were on the line today and got a little bit of rain on them and it seemed to make them smell :? have no idea why!

Sam...

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:28 pm

I would agree with Steph. Every now and then I do a wash with 2 washing tablets and then an extra rinse at the end to get rid of the detergent. The rest of the time I just use 1/2 or 1 tablet.

Also, I do a cold rinse before every wash and really find this helps.

Another mad sounding idea, but there was a discussion on BC about washing your washing machine :shock: by that they were talking about doing a hot wash - 90 degrees - with an empty machine as the detergent can build up in the machine and this can cause smells - might be worth a try anyway.

Hope you solve the problem.

Annette

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:06 pm

Ooooh I knew there was something I'd missed - I did mean to mention washing your washing machine too!

Get some soda crystals and put them thru the machine too...
Also take the drawer out and give it a good scrub, wash the filter and wipe round the door seals...

Let us know how you get on!!

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:21 pm

Thanks girls :) I'll give all your suggestions a try, and let you know how they go.

BECK : )

P.S. Sam - No they haven't been out in the rain, but I have had clothes that have been occassionally caught out in the rain and they smell too :? not sure why though, hmmm

My avatar
littlekiwibaby
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby littlekiwibaby » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:18 am

try this-- cold prewash with 2 tbsp white vinegar, hotwash ( I seem to remember you have a toploader with cold, warm, hot settings?) with 1/3 dose of bio powder and put 2 tbsp white vinegar in the wash and 2 in the conditioner section. Then do an extra rinse after.

I do this for every nappy wash and get no smells and nice soft nappies.

Oh and if they are really smelly then put 500mls white vinegar in your nappy bucket, top up with cold water, soak all nappies overnight then wash as above!

Hope this helps.

Cat.xx

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat