My avatar
subrosie
Clothie
Clothie

Eek - Mildew stains??

Postby subrosie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Hello

On the look out for more advice please :idea:

I have just loaded my nappy bucket contents into the washing machine and noticed there were darkish stains on my new WHHH and ME Bamboo and Bamboo inserts that certainly were not there when I put the nappies in the bucket.

Would this be Mildew stains? If so am so surprised as my last wash was the day before yesterday so I've not left them too long....

How do I get them out???

Thanks!

x

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Eek - Mildew stains??

Postby Kirstyh » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:28 pm

Not sure if it is mildew but if it is it doesn't come out. When Gracie was in hospital in Nov DH didn't realise there was nappies in the pail to be washed so they sat for 3 days and got mildew, whilst the actual mildew washed out it has stained

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:33 pm

can u use bleach? or a strong soda crystals solution? dont know really. i'd use mould and mildew remover for walls :oops: :giggle:

My avatar
jan3182001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby jan3182001 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:11 am

i had some highchair straps that became mildewy in storage, nothing would shift it.
But i had some left over sterilising solution - strong made with tablets that i'd used for cleaning something else so i shoved them in that - the next day they were like new!
I dont know if they may bleach coloured items but if its a last resort it worked for me.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 am

Could you try washing with some vinegar? Not sure if it would work... but in the bathroom I use vinegar for mild mildew and only reach for the commercial stuff if it gets bad. The vinegar usually gets rid of it straight away... not sure if it'd be the same on nappies though.

My avatar
rhiannon
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby rhiannon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 am

Oh no! I'd wash as hot as can and see what they're like after. If in doubt wash then lob them in with another wash as well?

My avatar
subrosie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby subrosie » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Thanks ladies

Washed all at 60 degrees and it did all come out bar very faint dark burgundy marks... I'm not so sure it was mildew but I can't for the life of me work out what it was... very odd

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Don't think it sounds like mildew, gracie had one nappy that got mysterious purple ish stains on it!

My avatar
subrosie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby subrosie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Am know getting a bit concerned about this - its happened again.

One BG insert is totally trashed - dark burgandy stain were the urine soaked the insert.... and a couple of Itti Bitti snap in's are very dark... what one earth could this be?? Is it simply that I need to wash nappies everyday instead of every other day?? Has anyone else had this problem??

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat