hf1

Your area and 'acceptance'

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Your area and 'acceptance'

Postby shoogah01 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:44 pm

I grew up in a very secluded area too so I can relate to how you are feeling :hug: since I moved away to Glasgow things have been much better and I feel I fit in very well here, even though there are a LOT of chavs :giggle:

:wine: to being different, just ignore the rest of them, they are just being narrow minded. Be proud of who you are :mrgreen:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:46 pm

I feel the same, I live in a small estuary village and everyone thinks I'm 'weird' in a fond way though (I hope!)

My closest friends use dispicables and disp wipes, bottlefeed etc, and I don't push my views on them or lecture them, they have made their decisions and that's fine by me, but I'm sure they all think I'm making more work for myself when really I'm not at all!

I have a couple of friends who BF and use cloth (boring cloth only), but I guess I am the most 'extreme' with posh cloth, still BFing, co-sleeping BLW and babywearing.

The very best thing is though that my husband is from a 'normal' (if you like) background, i.e Pampers, bottles, Johnson Baby, jars of food etc, but he totally LOVES what I want to do with our children and feels like I have really opened his eyes. he is so supportive and 'into' the ideas I present and I am so pleased!!! :mrgreen: 5rt

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Hun, I really feel for you. I am expecting bub number 1 and have already expeienced hostility to the idea of bf, cloth and homebirth. People just don't think about it. I have similar problems with my lifestyle choices, i am a veagn and when you say that word to anyone they look at you like you have landed from another planet.
I think that you need to stick to your guns and stick to what you believe in, you know best for your baby!
Don't give up! and lots of :hug: :hug:

My avatar
Soozi
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Soozi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:20 pm

oh yes definately i know how you feel

some days i like it (i do like being different) but sometimes i feel quite fed up and frustrated about it

i know 1 other person in this town who HAS used cloth (for 6 months) she used the ones you buy from boots and had no clue as to the variety that is out there!

and bfing ?????? what are we nuts?????? luckily i found a bf group which was a great support

again i'm a lucky one 'daddy' was a normal non crunchy person pre-me but he has been converted and now is my biggest ally/fan !

i remember someone saying one day (on here or another forum) that they used to feel like this but moved to another area and everyone around her was a bit 'crunchy'- i was shocked that there are places where the people are crunchy!

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:26 pm

You dont live in Blackpool do you :giggle:

Here in the centre i definitely feel whatever i do (cloth nappies/baby wearing etc) is 'weird' but at our Surestart group we have many BF'ing mums and about 4/5 of us using cloth nappies now :wine: for most of last year i was the only one so dead chuffed now!

I get called the sling and nappy queen :oops: :giggle: always giving advice out and people always want to see how to use the slings i have :lol:

In school i used to always try and be with the 'in' crowd with the latest stuff but as i have gotten older i do what i think is best, regardless :mrgreen: (and most of the 'in' crowd havent achieved much in life so far IMO (well the ones ive heard of/seen/read about on facebook, so im a smug 'weirdo' :giggle: )

Sarah x

My avatar
babyjjbaby
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby babyjjbaby » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:37 am

i think it would be the same anywhere tbh as people aren't happy to learn about things just do what is right for you i say :mrgreen: bugger anyone else

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:46 am

babyjjbaby wrote:i think it would be the same anywhere tbh as people aren't happy to learn about things just do what is right for you i say :mrgreen: bugger anyone else

I agree, I think sometimes It can feel that your being different no matter what you do. I live in a small town, im not from here but hubby is (ish) I dont see people really with cloth nappies, sometimes there is someone babywearing and people do seem to breastfeed and quite often past 6 months...although i think thats the NCT group of people really...

tbh i dont really let it worry me :oops:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:18 am

Atm we live in an south west london so quite a few cloth users and i see a fair amount of baby wearing and bf.when we move to liverpool in 3 weeks it's a different story.the council give 50 quid back if you use cloth nappies but the guy on the helpline said they hadn't had any enquiries in over 2 years when i rang!
I haven't seen anyone bf there or babywearing in the 12 years i lived there before coming down here last june.i'm not sure how dh will manage being a sahd and going to groups ,i'm sure they'll think he's a weirdo!i don't think he'll wear nathan much :-(

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:59 am

Liverpool is a university city and a large one at that. I'm sure there will be some like minded people there. If you join the local NCT you will find others of a similar mindset I'm sure

Leeds is a city with a similar "scally" reputation but you only have to scratch the surface to find some weirdos lurking :wink:

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat