hf1

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

My avatar
nikkib
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby nikkib » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:14 pm

Wallingford Maternity Hospital in Oxfordshire does!!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:46 pm

This thread is great! Thank you ladies :wine: There seem to be quite a few places that use cloth which means we will have to research why we dont!!

Do you know what types they use?

I've found online that totsbots make teeny mf popper nappies specifically for maternity units which would be good. Nottingham apparently use terries for the 1st nappy but use tape to hold them together & don't give wraps :roll: don't think that's gonna convert many!! :giggle:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:54 pm

These are the wraps we used in hospital: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BN-10x-plastic-s ... 0455557340

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:05 pm

beffys wrote:It's just not very practical for us too when DH would be relying on public transport. I'm pretty sure the hospital would be a bit funny about us using cloth as they provide pampers and I think it would be seen as a hassle and frowned upon. I would ask them when we would visit again next time, but the practicality of it without our own transport, getting through a huge amount of newborn nappies is really not good. Plus DH would have to wash them then too. :roll: It wouldn't bother him as much to use sposies as it bothers me. And even less so if it meant he didn't have to wash nappies. Ideally what you'd want is to be able to have them washed on premises!

The statistics for BFing in Glasgow are really low, so practically everyone formula feeds in the maternity ward. I don't have a problem with that for others, it's just the free formula seems to encourage it even more. That's a whole other conversation though about formula industry and marketing.

DH was public transport only (although my Mum came to drive us home from the hospital bless her!) but to be fair we were only in one night with Grace as I was out of there as soon as they could discharge me!! (which admittedly was not as soon as it should have been! :roll: )
The first few days they don't really wet much until your milk comes in so you don't get through loads of nappies to start with... Plus they're soooooo teeny (the nappies) that they don't take up much room ;) Just take a HUGE wet bag and wash when you get home...
I also used cloth wipes.

Our hospital also provide pampers - and formula if you ask for it :roll: but they prefer you to bring your own disposables...
I was quite relieved that in a room of four only one mum was formula feeding from the word go :wine:

To be honest I didn't really care what the hospital thought about me using cloth - although I took every opportunity to show it off to the midwives ;) and the paediatrician who was very impressed :giggle: (XS thirsties I think he saw, with an XS Weenotions wrap!)

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby autumnalgirl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Northampton don't provide cloth, I don't think they'd have an issue with it though as I used it with no problems when Dyl was in hospital aged 11 weeks. Each time I've ever had to take one of them it's always been commented on how few they see in cloth (pretty much just me) :(

My avatar
cvdbout
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby cvdbout » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 pm

St Richards in Chichester use cloth as standard :) We had DD at home so never got to experience it, just know from the leaflets. I believe they are prefolds.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:00 am

autumnalgirl wrote:Northampton don't provide cloth, I don't think they'd have an issue with it though as I used it with no problems when Dyl was in hospital aged 11 weeks. Each time I've ever had to take one of them it's always been commented on how few they see in cloth (pretty much just me) :(

Nobody ever comments on my cloth :cry: I spend ages picking out the prettiest WN or fitteds to take Grace in but still no comments :roll: Actually the Paed nurse commented once... She loved the fitteds. I get more comments about :bf: as I'm one of the only women in the GP practice doing it apprently :shock:

When Grace was in hospital after christmas the student nurse suggested putting her in sposies so they could weigh them but as I only had GM's with me I said we could just weigh them instead as they'd all weigh the same dry. Thank fully the nurse said it was better to keep her in her cloth so things were as 'normal' as possible for her. She said she might notice if we put her in sposies & not like it :giggle: :giggle: Too right! I'd notice if someone made me ware paper pant's instead of BV :wink: :giggle:

My avatar
Amanda
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Amanda » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:13 am

My hospital doesn't supply nappies but does supply free formula. My boys were in ecosposies when in hospital but I don't think there would've been a problem if I'd brought my own cloth. When Finn was admitted from A&E last summer he was in cloth and a couple of the nurses on the ward were very interested. In fact one of them had a friend who'd just had a baby and was interested in cloth so I gave her CNT web address. Wonder if she joined up?

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 am

nappynutter wrote:
beffys wrote:I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?

Baby Friendly hospitals are not allowed to provide formula (for free or for sale). Parents must provide their own artificial milk.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/page.asp?page=92

Standards

There should be no display or distribution of any materials produced by the manufacturers of breastmilk substitutes, bottles, teats or dummies in any part of the health-care facility. This includes gifts bearing company logos intended for health professionals (including pens, diary covers, obstetric calculators, notepads, etc) and written materials intended for mothers (including leaflets that do and do not relate to infant feeding).
There should be no sale of breastmilk substitutes on health-care premises.
Health-care facilities should not accept free or subsidised supplies of breastmilk substitutes.

The Southern General Hospital in Glasgow has full accreditation.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/htables/ ... spital=241

this really winds me up! wtf? surely EVERY hospital should be baby friendly and have the standards? grrrr

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat