hf1

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:48 pm

I had my annual review with my supervisor at work this morning & somehow we managed to get onto the subject of cloth nappies ( see, I can talk about it anywhere!). I mentioned that some maternity units provide cloth nappies for the mum's to use instead of disposables & I wish we did & she is interested in looking into it for our hospital. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

She's asked me to find out which hospitals use cloth & why so she has a basis for further research so this is where you ladies come in. If your local hospital uses cloth please could you let me know. I've googled it & there are a few trusts using them which is fab. The more I can find the more evidence there is for making the switch. I'm so excited she wants to look into this as I wanted to suggest it when I went back but didn't have a clue where to start!

Thanks!! :hug:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby beffys » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:51 pm

I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Oh that is excellent, I hope you get lots of evidence!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Ours does that too but I think they're going to be changing that soon. You'd be surprised how many people complain about units where you're charged for formula. It must cost the NHS a fortune each year so I think it's fair for people to provide their own except in exceptional circumstances.

I'd love to see some women's faces if I put fluff on their babies bum instead of a sposie :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:05 pm

Our main hospital here on the Isle of Man use cloth :hohoho: They are a wrap similar to a Motherease Airflow and the inner is a pad, very much like a terry topped booster. That was all there was to them, very simple and easy to use.... There were 2 bins as well on the wards, one for the inners and the other for wraps. They also provide cotton wool on our unit.

HTH x

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 pm

beffys wrote:I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?

I thought it was the 'norm' for hopsitals to provide formula , in those yucky glass bottles? my dd was sooo sick after spending her first day of life on that stuff poor thing but i wasnt at all interested/educated on bf then :oops: :(

Why cant you use cloth nappies in maternity wards? Or your one? Surely they cant physically stop you from bringing them in , and your partner/husband taking them home to be washed? Is there a law that backs them up? :-? If not id take them.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 pm

beffys wrote:I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?

Baby Friendly hospitals are not allowed to provide formula (for free or for sale). Parents must provide their own artificial milk.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/page.asp?page=92

Standards

There should be no display or distribution of any materials produced by the manufacturers of breastmilk substitutes, bottles, teats or dummies in any part of the health-care facility. This includes gifts bearing company logos intended for health professionals (including pens, diary covers, obstetric calculators, notepads, etc) and written materials intended for mothers (including leaflets that do and do not relate to infant feeding).
There should be no sale of breastmilk substitutes on health-care premises.
Health-care facilities should not accept free or subsidised supplies of breastmilk substitutes.

The Southern General Hospital in Glasgow has full accreditation.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/htables/ ... spital=241

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:25 pm

You can use cloth nappies in any hospital in the UK as long as you are prepared to take them away for washing yourself.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:27 pm

The hospital where I had both my children welcome cloth but dont use it as standard...they also provide free formula for those who choose to use it...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat