hf1

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 am

littlesez wrote:
nappynutter wrote:
beffys wrote:I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?

Baby Friendly hospitals are not allowed to provide formula (for free or for sale). Parents must provide their own artificial milk.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/page.asp?page=92

Standards

There should be no display or distribution of any materials produced by the manufacturers of breastmilk substitutes, bottles, teats or dummies in any part of the health-care facility. This includes gifts bearing company logos intended for health professionals (including pens, diary covers, obstetric calculators, notepads, etc) and written materials intended for mothers (including leaflets that do and do not relate to infant feeding).
There should be no sale of breastmilk substitutes on health-care premises.
Health-care facilities should not accept free or subsidised supplies of breastmilk substitutes.

The Southern General Hospital in Glasgow has full accreditation.

http://www.babyfriendly.org.uk/htables/ ... spital=241

this really winds me up! wtf? surely EVERY hospital should be baby friendly and have the standards? grrrr

Sadly, only 49 hospitals in the UK are 'baby friendly'. We're working towards it. I think if there were more Baby friendly hospitals bf rates would definitely improve. obviously there is still choice & if women want to artificially feed then that's their choice but formula is definitely way too readily available.

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:43 am

Lol I think there would be outrage if our local hospital didnt provide formula for free :roll: When I had Molly, I was the only one on the postnatal ward trying to breastfeed and the MWs kept leaving bottles of formula on my table when they were handing them out to everyone else. One MW actually started to scold me for "not feeding" my baby when she saw none of them had been opened on the second afternoon :shock: Luckily I got moved up to the MLU soon after where the MW's there were able to help me with BFing more, the ones on the postnatal ward "had no time" to help me. I think the BFing rates have got slighter better since, it'll be interesting to see what its like this time around!

I'd love it if our hospital provided cloth for babies too, but my MW looked shocked when I asked her about bringing cloth into the hospital, and said she wouldn't advise it because it didnt sound hygenic :-? I might do it anyway because I dont plan to be there too long if all goes well, Im not sure I want the first nappy on LO's bum to be a sposie!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:49 am

gayleygoo wrote: my MW looked shocked when I asked her about bringing cloth into the hospital, and said she wouldn't advise it because it didnt sound hygenic :-?

OFGS!!! I think it's a fab idea that a hospital would provide cloth & no formula. Of course if it happened here in Ireland, there would be civil war

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby MissFrodo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:33 am

Hospitals overhere provide sposies and formula. But if you want to :bf: they support you every way they can.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:12 pm

monsterm wrote:
gayleygoo wrote: my MW looked shocked when I asked her about bringing cloth into the hospital, and said she wouldn't advise it because it didnt sound hygenic :-?

OFGS!!! I think it's a fab idea that a hospital would provide cloth & no formula. Of course if it happened here in Ireland, there would be civil war

It will kick off at our place if it happens too. You should've seen what happened when we changed supplier & ran out of a certain brand for just an afternoon :wink: :giggle: Mayhem!!!

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Charlootle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:28 pm

I work in a NICU and we have pampers but ask parents to provide their own nappies as soon as possible. I've had one little baby in moltex disposables and a couple in nature baby but never any in cloth. It would be nice to see it as standard in our unit, it would save us and the parents a lot of funds. As far as I'm aware labour ward/post natal don't use cloth. Obviously we don't ask parents to provide formula but actively encourage breastfeeding, if this isn't possible most babies have to have pepti junior to start with unless they're intravenously fed.

Good luck converting your unit!

Charlotte & Jaden x

My avatar
kermitgirl
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby kermitgirl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:23 pm

At the Rosie in Cambridge they put on the first disp nappy then the rest is up to you and what you bring in from home. DD was in SCBU and they provide pampers micro (and you can use their tiny clothes for as long as you like). I was very keen to get her into my cloth asap - which I'd send/take home to wash and some nurses were quite keen and checked with the matron. The nurse that mainly looked after Lois though didn't see the problem with using the disps and said they need to weigh the nappies (because you can't weigh a cloth nappy before it gets worn to see how much wee has been done in it :roll: ) She was an amazing nurse and lovely and very sensitive and thoughtful apart from the cloth thing. Cloth nappies was one of the few "normal" well for me anyway :wink: things I could do for Lois in the very early days. I'd have loved cloth to have been laid on for us to use, and if mums see it done in the hospital they will see it was normal.

From being on the postnatal ward they seem *very* keen for bf mums to top up with formula :evil:

My avatar
Charlootle
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Charlootle » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:02 pm

Mm I can see quite a few neonatal nurses on my unit being not very open to the idea but to be honest unless the baby is very unwell or has cardiac/renal problems we don't tend to weigh nappies, certainly not in the lower dependency nurseries. Maybe I should bring it up with my matron!

Charlotte & Jaden x

My avatar
trishy28
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby trishy28 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:05 pm

i just checked that link and my local hospital Arbroath Maternity unit is on there - :wine: full accreditation, i was never offered cloth or formula - as we were told on the mw visit that we had to provide the nappies as they didnt have funds, and if we really really didnt want to bf then they could help with steri formula bottles and teats, when i ff my first i got 12 bottles home with me, ff my 2nd and got 6 homw with me and took one for just in case with katy, her jaundice was bad i was stressed so tey made me believe ff would help her with the jaundice. as for cloth, there was lidded buckets with labels saying babies cloth washing - it was for bibs bedding mainly but also the prefolds that we could use if we asked for them. i was happy with my hospital....

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat