hf1

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

My avatar
holmes2974
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby holmes2974 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:17 pm

I think this is fantastic, and would love to get on the case with our local hospitals too. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to use cloth in hospital, although this admittedly came from our antenatal teacher and with so much on my mind during pregnancy I didn't make the effort to double-check with the hospital itself :oops:
It would make so much sense to use cloth as standard - would save the NHS a fortune!
Can I be really cheeky and ask if you'd email me your findings please? Do you fancy doing some work together to work out the potential cost savings (if it hasn't already been done?)

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:02 pm

holmes2974 wrote:I think this is fantastic, and would love to get on the case with our local hospitals too. I was told that I wouldn't be allowed to use cloth in hospital, although this admittedly came from our antenatal teacher and with so much on my mind during pregnancy I didn't make the effort to double-check with the hospital itself :oops:
It would make so much sense to use cloth as standard - would save the NHS a fortune!
Can I be really cheeky and ask if you'd email me your findings please? Do you fancy doing some work together to work out the potential cost savings (if it hasn't already been done?)

That'd be fab! It might be a way down the line as 1st we need to work out why the other hospitals use cloth & if we should be then cost it up. My main fear is that the sposies we get are brought in by the lady who gives out the bags named after a coconut chocolate bar :wink: :wink: so, if they're free it's not going to appeal from a cost perspective. However we average 5000 deliveries a year & if you guess that each baby uses 8-10 nappies a day that's at least 40-50,000 sposies a year :shock: :shock: More for the babies that are in longer than a day. Environmentally that's awful!!!

It'd save a lot of time if babies were in cloth & they would actually get discharged quicker in a lot of cases which would free up beds thus saving money. I really hope they think it'd be worth the switch.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:22 pm

It sounds like a fab idea, well done and good luck!

Sadly, Scarlett's cloth bottom was the first (and probably last) they had seen at my local hospital, all of the MW's came in to see her and many had to change her as i had a c-sec. They were all fine about it and intrigued by how they worked etc.

The biggest thing they all commented on were washable wipes, how much more effective they were at cleaning off meconium than cotton wool or those disposable wipes which smear it everywhere apparently.

I would have loved for them to provide nappies but tbh, it wasnt that hard... when i was being sewn up and Scarlett was being weighed etc they went to put a disp on her but DH handed the nurse a SBOV and that was that... we used our own nappies from the 1st one. I dont really understand why the hosp has to provide nappies at all to be honest with you - parents should bring their own!!? I can understand a small need where they may run out, or not be the right fit for baby, but a hosp shouldnt need to pay/provide nappies. Same goes for formula - they dont provide baby clothes, why provide the other essentials... Thats why you put together a hospital bag.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Rox wrote: they dont provide baby clothes, why provide the other essentials... Thats why you put together a hospital bag.

Ours does :lol: in the linen cupboard were plastic stacking boxes labelled 'newborn girl', '0-3 boy' etc etc Although they didn't offer them out freely, I only discovered them when I went to help myself to a clean pillowcase for Fayes cot mattress so they were obviously for people who come in with nothing or run out..... I did borrow some pink stuff to put her in and save dh washing :giggle:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Rox wrote:It sounds like a fab idea, well done and good luck!

I dont really understand why the hosp has to provide nappies at all to be honest with you - parents should bring their own!!? I can understand a small need where they may run out, or not be the right fit for baby, but a hosp shouldnt need to pay/provide nappies. Same goes for formula - they dont provide baby clothes, why provide the other essentials... Thats why you put together a hospital bag.

I completely agree with this. Our hospital doesn't provide any nappies at all either disps or cloth and I don't think any hospital should really. :-?(except of course in emergencies) Unfortunately ours does provide free formula. :evil: :roll: .

My avatar
nabroc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby nabroc » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:14 pm

To be honest, I have no idea what our hospital provides...I went in with my own nappies and a firm intention to breast feed, I was out about 15 hours after DS was born so no emergency needs either. I can't see them providing cloth though...and I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out formula :roll:

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:41 am

Louise wrote:
Rox wrote:It sounds like a fab idea, well done and good luck!

I dont really understand why the hosp has to provide nappies at all to be honest with you - parents should bring their own!!? I can understand a small need where they may run out, or not be the right fit for baby, but a hosp shouldnt need to pay/provide nappies. Same goes for formula - they dont provide baby clothes, why provide the other essentials... Thats why you put together a hospital bag.

I completely agree with this. Our hospital doesn't provide any nappies at all either disps or cloth and I don't think any hospital should really. :-?(except of course in emergencies) Unfortunately ours does provide free formula. :evil: :roll: .

I agree, but you'd be surprised what people expect you to provide. I've seen people filling their bags with pads, nappies, cottonwool, mattress protectors etc to take home with them. We had to hide it all & give it out when people asked. There will always be a need for an emergency supply. If you stay in unexpectedly or have a prem baby or the very rare cases where people just turn up with nothing expecting the hospital to provide the lot. There needs to be a provision for those times but it would save the NHS a fortune if people brought in their own stuff. The only clothes we have available are ones that get left behind on the ward or given because they don't fit the baby or the scan was wrong & they have a boy instead of a girl :giggle:

My avatar
sallyshed
Clothie
Clothie

Postby sallyshed » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

I am the person who got cloth into Wallingford Maternity Hospital - helped to design the nappy and sorted out the logistics. I did have several meetings with the JR in Oxford to try and get cloth nappies on the wards there. They were keen but the logistics were too difficult to manage at the time. That was at the time when there was a lot of real nappy funding available hrough WRAP, but that's all stopped now, so it would be an enormous cost to purchase all the nappies and wraps needed. But am more than happy to chat with people if you think it could be helpful.

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby northernruth » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:45 pm

When I was in hospital we had to provide all our nappies, I even got told off for having brought the wrong size and had to send DH out for newborn size......

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat