hf1

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 pm

northernruth wrote:When I was in hospital we had to provide all our nappies, I even got told off for having brought the wrong size and had to send DH out for newborn size......

:giggle: What size did you have?

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:06 am

Sorry, don't have time to read all the replies so don't know if anyone has already said this... but I know Crowborough Birthing Centre (East Sussex, comes under East Sussex Hospitals NHS Trust) provide cloth for bubs while in the unit, parents are told only to bring one nappy to take baby home in.

Not sure about the hospitals in that same Trust though.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:56 pm

cvdbout wrote:St Richards in Chichester use cloth as standard :) We had DD at home so never got to experience it, just know from the leaflets. I believe they are prefolds.

WSS. :D

St Richards, Chichester ( Royal West Sussex Trust) use and provide cloth on the postnatal wards. When I had DS1 he was put in a cotton bottoms prefold and wrap by the midwife. I have read that they now have a specially designed newborn nappy and wrap in use but I didn't get to test them as DS2 and DS3 were born at home.

It must save the hospital quite a bit in clinical waste disposal charges I imagine as well as raising awareness of cloth nappies generally. :wine:

My avatar
cvdbout
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby cvdbout » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:20 pm

I must admit that was one of the things that got us to use St Richards (40 minutes drive away) :hohoho:

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:31 pm

Not sure if I already posted, sorry if I did, I keep starting to and then not!

George Elliot in Nuneaton use fuzzi bunz, AFAIK they don't have any sposies available :D but the do have bins for them if people choose to bring their own

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:44 pm

when i had taliesin, he was put straight into a sposie that was in my new mum pack. they have a strict breastfeeding policy, in that bf'ing women are not to be allowed milk or water or anything else to be given in the first three days. it broke me on day two, and i had to beg for 20 mls of formula to settle him as he was drawing blood from me. day 2 i'd had enough of having me boobs woman handled into his mouth and we went home. i don't think they provide nappies unless in scbu, and u are encouraged to bring ur own. worth asking me mw on monday though if i am allowed to use cloth.

how does cloth handle new poo? the marmite stuff i mean, part of me was thinking of using the rest of the newborn pack i have here whilst in hospital just to get them used up. still undecided though

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:07 am

I work in a mat unit and they dont have anything set up for mums to use, the nappies we have are disposables that people have given us (ones mums havent used as their babys grew out of them), the management are crap as it is so there would be no chance this would be added to their list of things to do (it took months and months to get a new fridge after the last broke), i think its possible without the hospitals help if the mum takes a wet bag and someone takes it home every night, but it would prob mean extra bags and some units wouldnt be too pleased with that :| plus there's no 'need' for it as almost everyone round here have no idea about cloth nappies and there brilliance :D and that goes for staff too :roll:
often staff change nappies and i know that if it was anymore difficult than nappy off, wipe, nappy on, go, then it just wouldn't work due to sudden changes of situation i.e. one minute quiet, the next; 3 labourers, a million phone calls etc, depending on the type of cloth nappy it can take longer if you havent used them before, but i think more encouragement should be given to mums to use cloth from the beginning, nurseries too!

but i do still think they should have a bit of formula in the hospital, there are situations where this is needed, and im really really pro breastfeeding, but sometimes its not possible for someone to go get milk at 3am for a baby that needs it and sometimes it is needed sadly

Previous

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat