hf1

Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Fayesmum wrote:Our main hospital here on the Isle of Man use cloth :hohoho: They are a wrap similar to a Motherease Airflow and the inner is a pad, very much like a terry topped booster. That was all there was to them, very simple and easy to use.... There were 2 bins as well on the wards, one for the inners and the other for wraps. They also provide cotton wool on our unit.

HTH x


Thanks! Do you know what the name of the hospital is? :hug:

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby freyasmummy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:41 pm

You might want to contact the Medway cloth nappy network, I'm sure they had the local hospital using cloth in the SCBU unit...

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:45 pm

sophie2198 wrote:
beffys wrote:I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?


I thought it was the 'norm' for hopsitals to provide formula , in those yucky glass bottles? my dd was sooo sick after spending her first day of life on that stuff poor thing but i wasnt at all interested/educated on bf then :oops: :(

Why cant you use cloth nappies in maternity wards? Or your one? Surely they cant physically stop you from bringing them in , and your partner/husband taking them home to be washed? Is there a law that backs them up? :-? If not id take them.


Where I work there's nothing to stop you bringing in your own cloth & I did. The hospital provide disposables but I want them to start providing cloth instead.

It is the 'norm' for the hospitals to provide formula but if they want to get 'baby friendly' status they shouldn't provide it for free. One of our local hospitals provides it in a vending machine.

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby beffys » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Rebekahs_mum wrote:
sophie2198 wrote:
beffys wrote:I would so love to be able to use cloth in maternity wards. It's quite a big deal for me that we can't. :oops: They give away free formula as well here. :-?


I thought it was the 'norm' for hopsitals to provide formula , in those yucky glass bottles? my dd was sooo sick after spending her first day of life on that stuff poor thing but i wasnt at all interested/educated on bf then :oops: :(

Why cant you use cloth nappies in maternity wards? Or your one? Surely they cant physically stop you from bringing them in , and your partner/husband taking them home to be washed? Is there a law that backs them up? :-? If not id take them.


Where I work there's nothing to stop you bringing in your own cloth & I did. The hospital provide disposables but I want them to start providing cloth instead.

It is the 'norm' for the hospitals to provide formula but if they want to get 'baby friendly' status they shouldn't provide it for free. One of our local hospitals provides it in a vending machine.


It's just not very practical for us too when DH would be relying on public transport. I'm pretty sure the hospital would be a bit funny about us using cloth as they provide pampers and I think it would be seen as a hassle and frowned upon. I would ask them when we would visit again next time, but the practicality of it without our own transport, getting through a huge amount of newborn nappies is really not good. Plus DH would have to wash them then too. :roll: It wouldn't bother him as much to use sposies as it bothers me. And even less so if it meant he didn't have to wash nappies. Ideally what you'd want is to be able to have them washed on premises!

The statistics for BFing in Glasgow are really low, so practically everyone formula feeds in the maternity ward. I don't have a problem with that for others, it's just the free formula seems to encourage it even more. That's a whole other conversation though about formula industry and marketing.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby Fayesmum » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:04 pm

Rebekahs_mum wrote:
Fayesmum wrote:Our main hospital here on the Isle of Man use cloth :hohoho: They are a wrap similar to a Motherease Airflow and the inner is a pad, very much like a terry topped booster. That was all there was to them, very simple and easy to use.... There were 2 bins as well on the wards, one for the inners and the other for wraps. They also provide cotton wool on our unit.

HTH x


Thanks! Do you know what the name of the hospital is? :hug:


Yup of course it's Nobles Hospital, based in Douglas Isle of Man and if you want I can even give you the unit phone number so you or your supervisor can speak to the lead midwife? Pm me if you're interested :wink:

My avatar
sophie2198
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby sophie2198 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:18 pm

beffys wrote:It's just not very practical for us too when DH would be relying on public transport. I'm pretty sure the hospital would be a bit funny about us using cloth as they provide pampers and I think it would be seen as a hassle and frowned upon. I would ask them when we would visit again next time, but the practicality of it without our own transport, getting through a huge amount of newborn nappies is really not good. Plus DH would have to wash them then too. :roll: It wouldn't bother him as much to use sposies as it bothers me. And even less so if it meant he didn't have to wash nappies. Ideally what you'd want is to be able to have them washed on premises!

The statistics for BFing in Glasgow are really low, so practically everyone formula feeds in the maternity ward. I don't have a problem with that for others, it's just the free formula seems to encourage it even more. That's a whole other conversation though about formula industry and marketing.


Ah i see! :) I mis-read it as though it was the hosp saying you couldnt use them! I didnt use clotyh with my first at all , didnt even know about it , and switched when my ds was 4 months but tbhif i have another bubba i will be concentrating more on bf for the first few weeks rather than cloth iygwim? A couple of days in dispos wont hurt hun , just think of all the fluffy goodness that will be waiting for you at home! :hug: :hug: :hug:

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby MissFrodo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:22 pm

Can't help with this but just want to say how great that they're willing and great to hear that some allready do!
They all use sposies overhere.

My avatar
TheNatty
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby TheNatty » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm

i think that is a fantastic idea! it might sway more mum towards cloth nappies if they see how easy they are in hospital!
my local hospital doesnt supply nappies but supplies formula milk.

i used cloth on ds2 and the hospital didnt like it. but i argued that i was supposed to be having a homebirth anyway, and that it was supposed to be a 4 hour birth-to-discharge time system.. and here i was 13 hours later STILL waiting to be discharged.

they shut up pretty quickly then :hohoho:

heres a picture about 3 hours after he was born and he'd had a bath and fresh clothes (they put him in a disposable because i was being stitched up for an hour and he had to be dressed which was fair enough i thought)

heres a picture :) hes in a cotton bottoms newborn wrap and a tiny prefold because of everything i brought with me thats all that would fit him (and he was nearly 9lb :shock: ) you can just see his hospital tag on his left leg :giggle:

Image

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Maternity units using cloth on newborns! Please help!

Postby freckle » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:13 pm

They used cloth nappies at the hospital I had Zach in in Australia and if you chose to formula feed you had to bring this with you (though obviously for other circumstances they would have had it available). Strangely though they gave out reusable wipes by Johnsons.

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat