Stripping cloth nappies

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Stripping cloth nappies

Postby Pinchette » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:08 pm

:?
Is it like when you have to change toothbrush every 3 months?
Is it like descaling the kettle whenever there's a build-up??

Sorry being a bit silly.

:roll:

So when do you know your nappies need striping and then how do you do it?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Love the comparisons!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never stripped my cloth nappies purely as I've never needed to! I think if you need to you will have smelly nappies even when clean or when they have just had 1 wee in the nappy, I think also if you are getting leaky nappies that can be a sign as well. As far as what to do you need to put them in a load with full powder and then rinse and rinse and rinse til there is no bubbles left. Also can add vinegar in larger amounts than you might normally use.

I have hard water and only use 1/2 a tablet of bio and always add a bit of vinegar so not sure if that is why I have never had a problem! Have started doing the monthly washing machine 'wash' though after getting black spots - yuck!

Sorry started this ages ago have probably cp'ed with others!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:30 pm

I've only ever stripped my nappies a few times, when they were getting a bit smelly after they'd been wee'd on and once when I changed washing powders and Ryan had a reaction to it. I put them on a 60 degree wash with 1tbsp bicarbonate of soda and 1tsp washing up liquid and rinse loads and loads of times until there are no more bubbles.

Louise

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:59 pm

I do it if they're smelly after a wee or still stinky after washing, rarely needed to do a strip wash though.
I use bicarb of soda in the same quantity I would detergent and then put a huge slug of white vinegar in the fabric softener part of the drawer.

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:07 pm

I'd forgotten the Bicarb trick! :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:16 pm

Another reason to strip cloth nappies can be sudden unexplained rashes which can indicate detergent buildup...

I rarely strip mine but I usually do either two full wash cycles, or an extra rinse cycle...

My avatar
tinderboxy
Clothie
Clothie

Postby tinderboxy » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:53 pm

clothmama wrote:I'd forgotten the Bicarb trick! :wink:

I dyed all my nappies bright yellow the other week by using bicarb! :shock: :(

I'd been using a lot of rash cream and usually I wash my paper liners several times before I bin them, and I should have just binned these but I washed them. I had one fitted that was a bit whiffy so I stupidly decided to wash the whole lot in bicarb, as I usually do when I need to strip. I used to use fuzzi bunz, but now I use bumgenius and this was the first time I had used bicarb.

Basically the whole load was bright yellow, especially where the sudocrem was on the liners, and round the legs of the pockets. Obviously liners don't protect the nappy from cream as well as I thought. My blue bg's were a horrid shade of dirty grey, the white ones are almost totally yellow, and the inners and insides of all the others had a yellow tinge. The ones with cream on them looked like they had been sprinkled with bright yellow pollen. :cry:

I'm too afraid to use bicarb again so next time I need to strip I think I will try Fairy liquid :D

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat