hf1

Argh disposables!! Update

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Argh disposables!! Update

Postby northernruth » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:14 am

I used sposies until Martha was 6/7 months (introduced cloth gradually as we worked out what worked for us) and I would never have left Martha in a nappy for longer than 4 hours. The minute you could feel that it was wet (ie they feel lumpy and heavy, not that she was walking) I would change it. I can't understand how anyone would leave a baby in a nappy that felt "full"

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Argh disposables!!

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:30 am

tanya2007 wrote:TBH, when my mum looks after Bella and has her in sposies, she doesn't change her as often as I would like, even when I mention it to her. She just kinda weighs up the sposies (grabbing at Bella's crotch) and if it doesn't feel full, doesn't change it. If I'm there and see her doing it, I will then change Bella anyway, but when I'm not there, there isn't an awful lot I can do about it. but thinks nothing of 4-5 hours if she's not peeing too much.

I think this is what happened yesterday cause it wasnt dragging round her knees when I took it off but yet she was soaked right through :-? :shock:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:34 am

Fayesmum wrote:
tanya2007 wrote:TBH, when my mum looks after Bella and has her in sposies, she doesn't change her as often as I would like, even when I mention it to her. She just kinda weighs up the sposies (grabbing at Bella's crotch) and if it doesn't feel full, doesn't change it. If I'm there and see her doing it, I will then change Bella anyway, but when I'm not there, there isn't an awful lot I can do about it. but thinks nothing of 4-5 hours if she's not peeing too much.

I think this is what happened yesterday cause it wasnt dragging round her knees when I took it off but yet she was soaked right through :-? :shock:

Hmm, not that I'm an expert on sposies (yuck, hate the things, but acknowledge they have their uses), but it sounds like the fit was wrong as well or maybe she needs a different size, as from experience, they don't generally leaks with wee unless they are full to bursting or they haven't been put on properly/are the wrong size.

But as I said, I have limited experience with them.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:03 am

Is your friend a registered childminder. Childminders caring for babies under the age of 2 are required to meet certain standards.

Feeding and nappy changing takes place in accordance with the child’s individual needs and not as part of the childminder’s routine.

Nappies should not be changed at certain times of the day. They should be changed according to the specific needs of the child. In this case it would mean using cloth nappies and changing them when they need changed.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 pm

tanya2007 wrote:Hmm, not that I'm an expert on sposies (yuck, hate the things, but acknowledge they have their uses), but it sounds like the fit was wrong as well or maybe she needs a different size, as from experience, they don't generally leaks with wee unless they are full to bursting or they haven't been put on properly/are the wrong size.

But as I said, I have limited experience with them.

Well apart from the first one of the day I don't have any contact with them and she is straight into cloth when we get home... Its not something we've experienced before when I've collected her and they seem to fit ok to me, she is well within the weight bracket for size 4's. We dont use them at all at home, even the other week when she had an exploding antibiotics bum I managed to avoid the need, even if I did resort to the shower hose, and rubber gloves more than once when taking them off :shock:

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:07 pm

nappynutter wrote:Is your friend a registered childminder. Childminders caring for babies under the age of 2 are required to meet certain standards.

Feeding and nappy changing takes place in accordance with the child’s individual needs and not as part of the childminder’s routine.

Nappies should not be changed at certain times of the day. They should be changed according to the specific needs of the child. In this case it would mean using cloth nappies and changing them when they need changed.

This was the sort of thing I was going to say but probably not so eloquently. If she is a registered CM which presumably she is if you are paying her then she shouldn't be upset about you telling her how you want her to look after her child, friend or not.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 pm

nappynutter wrote:Is your friend a registered childminder. Childminders caring for babies under the age of 2 are required to meet certain standards.

In the process of registering. She has attended the necessary study days and her paperwork is with social services. Are you saying she should be using cloth because that is our routine at home? Sorry I'm not sure what you're getting at :oops:

I hope people aren't thinking I stick to a timetable when changing her myself, I don't as I've already said it just works out that she is changed roughly at the same time each day but she would be done more frequently if needed.... Kinda feeling the need to justify myself today, this whole thing has really pissed me off :cry:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:25 pm

I don't think anyone is saying that about you at all, but I think there are a few of us who are thinking your friend is probably changing by the clock rather than as and when the child needs it.

In theory a good childminder should be willing to use cloth if that's what is used at home, but in practice a lot don't.

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Annette wrote:

This was the sort of thing I was going to say but probably not so eloquently. If she is a registered CM which presumably she is if you are paying her then she shouldn't be upset about you telling her how you want her to look after her child, friend or not.

Well she was, she was really upset (not offended) that I was ringing her and kept saying 'well she didnt appear wet or uncomfortable, i thought she'd be ok...'

I've got nurseries to see over the next 2 weeks for the coming Autumn but because she isn't 2 until November can't go into the 2 yr old room. I'm looking for a CM for the inital 6 weeks, possibly move her after her birthday but am worried about the disruption this would bring.... One of the nurseries on the list takes from 18mnths so fingers crossed they're a nice environment

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat