hf1

Help for a newbie

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Help for a newbie

Postby rachymoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:52 pm

Well as the title says I’m pretty new to real nappies. My daughter is 15 months old now but better late than never, eh! :) Plus I am TTC #2 so I’m sort of hoping to see how I get on with them with my daughter and then, all being well, will use them exclusively (or near enough anyway) with the new baby.

I have had a bit of advice off someone I know who is a nappy agent and so that’s helped, I’m still a bit clueless though! I have ordered 2 nappies which will hopefully be waiting when I get home – an Itti Bitti D’lish snap-in-one (a red polka dot one – lush!) and an Itti Bitti D’lish all-in-one in pale pink. For anyone that’s used Itti Bitti D’lish, how have you found them? Any good? And – at the risk of sounding thick – what’s the difference between all-in-one and snap-in-one?

I have seen quite a few I like - I think next on my list to try is a Fuzzi Bunz. Any other recommendations?

Seeing as I’m new to cloth, is there anything else I’m, going to need – do I need one of those nappy bucket things or can I just bung them in the washing machine? (See I told you I was clueless lol :oops: ). Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks xx

My avatar
shoogah01
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Help for a newbie

Postby shoogah01 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:04 pm

welcome to CNT :hug:
I have 3 itti's in my stash and they are snap in ones meaning it has a snap in trifold and booster that are removed for washing and drying so I find they dry faster than most of our nappies. They are fantastic :D

for recommendations I would suggest the usual suspects wee notions if you are wanting to stick with pockets or all in 2s, their night nappies are fantastic too.

there is also the fitted nappy and wool or fleece route if you get on well with your starter nappies.

good luck with your trial

ETA I use a bucket to keep the dirty nappies together before they are ready for a wash, you will definitely need something like that if you are going to start using cloth full time for 2 children :wink:

My avatar
nabroc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby nabroc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:08 pm

I found fuzzi bunz to be great, they were our first nappy, completely reliable. we love them!! Itti bitti's are fab too, we have both all in ones and snap in ones, think we're leaning more towards the snap in ones as they are more absorbant.

Good luck with your trial and welcome to CNT :cnthug:

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:23 pm

If you are leaning towards Fuzzi bunz, give blueberry pockets & bumgenius a try. I have a petite little girl & find the fit on them better. Weenotions pockets are beautiful.

You will definitely need a bucket with a lid & 2 mesh laundry bags that fit in (one for the bucket while one is in the wash). I use a tiny amount (about a heaped teaspoon) of bold 2 in 1 & wash at 40 or 60 with an extra rinse.

My number 1 piece of advice I would give though is not to buy alot of one brand of nappy. Try out a few different types & see what suits you. Try the classifieds here if your budget won't stretch to all new.

Also spend some time reading this forum, everything you need to know is here.

Welcome to CNT :cnthug:

My avatar
angiepangie2809
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angiepangie2809 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:32 pm

i would mirror what the previous poster said about not buying too many of one particular brand until you know what you like and what suits your little one.
i have a plastic swing bin that i use instead of a nappy bucket as it holds more...and we get no smells.
i have an old insert taped to the inside of the lid that i add a few drops of tea tree oil/lavender oil to and it stops any nasty whiffs. If you are likely to have 2 in cloth soon you will deffo need a bigger nappy bin....my normal plastic swing rubbish bin cost only £5 from wilkinsons. thats also where i get my teatree and lavender oil from.

welcome to the board hun and welcome xx :hug:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm

:idea: itti's are nice but not great if you have a heavy wetter. We loved fuzzies and also bumgenius are great. Weenotions are a must for prettyness and they preform really well, fitted nappies are great as well, I never though I would love them but I do and they now make up most of our stash.
Classifieds is a good place to look so you can buy several different types to know what suits best

You will def need a nappy bag, I wouldn't say a mesh is necessary, I have one that I use most of the time in the pail but not always and I don't keep the nappies in it when washing, I put the nappies in the wash individually and chuck the mesh in for a wash with them. I use a bin from Ikea and tape a bit of kitchen paper to the lid with a drop or 2 or lavender or tea tree oil to the lid for whiffs

Bold 2in1 is a good powder to use as it has softener in it, it is the only type of softener you can use as it is clay based, any other type will coat your nappies and reduce absorbency, you only need to use a small amount of powder. To wash do a cold rinse, hot wash and then another cold rinse or 2, I do an extra spin at the end as well as it really reduces drying time :wink:

Hope that helps x

My avatar
aimeet
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby aimeet » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I am a newbie too and have found the classifieds here amazing, especially as I didn't want to get too many of one type of nappy! I would echo anyone saying that this is defo the place for advice, everyone is very friendly and helpful.
Anyway- WELCOME! :cnthug:

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby g murphy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 pm

Welcome hunnie!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Right so... another thick question (lol) - what do I need a bucket/bin for? Is it just for keeping them in until I wash them? Or do I have to soak them in something first? And the mesh bag - do you have to wash them in a bag then?

I have NO idea what the different types on nappies are, lol - I vaguely know what an AI1 and a pocket is (and have been told they are generally the easiest to use...) but that's it. What's a fitted nappy? :oops: God I feel really really thick now.

Rach xx

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat