hf1

Dr. miriam stoppard (rolls eyes)

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Dr. miriam stoppard (rolls eyes)

Postby emmalala » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:03 pm

:roll: Just been reading this book, new babycare by said Dr, and I'm not supprised that some people are put off using cloth! http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Baby-Care-M ... 76&sr=8-32
I got this last year and inside its the 2009 edition, bear that in mind.

Quotes from the book are among others..

In tips for using fabric nappies.. " Use a disposable inside a fabric nappy for extra absorbency at night." !!!! :shock:

Nappy washing routines... " Your babies nappies must be thoroughly washed to remove all traces of ammonia and faecal bacteria that would otherwise cause infection" ?! "special nappy sterilents are now available to make this process less time consuming" (how hard is it to chuck them in the wash?)

This one is ammusing, "to reduce the environmental impact of nappy washing wash them at large loads" !
Not once does she mention on the whole book the environmental issues of disps :-?

This is in the 1-3 year old section... "If you hesistated to use disposables before because of the cost you may consider them now as they are neater and less bulky than fabric nappies. This is important because your child will find it difficult to walk with a cumbersome wad of of nappy between thier legs. If you must use fabric nappies fold them in the least bulky way as possible." ?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Really, that book has just found its way to the bin, what the heck is she trying to achieve there? Fair enough its every parents choice to use disps or cloth but this book is so anti-cloth it makes me :x :x No wonder parents are put off if thier turning to this book for guidence, its so unbalanced. The whole nappy section is geared towards disps are better and cloth is time consuming. I suspect a few people have been reading this and they'l be the ones that think you have to iron your nappies

ETA this woman has an OBE! :roll:
Last edited by emmalala on Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Dr. miriam stoppard (rolls eyes)

Postby Frances » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:05 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Scotia » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:14 pm

What a load of rubbish! Especially since she must have used the old terry squares on her own children :x

I'm sick of hearing how cloth nappies make it hard for them to walk. My children were all very very quick walkers and cloth never held any of them back. Kerr was walking at 8 months.

Neither did any of them die from all the bacteria that I wrapped their bums in every day :roll:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:28 pm

:roll: :roll: It's no wonder so many people don't even consider cloth with books spouting this stuff! :evil:

Does she have a website? You should send her an email (or someone who works for her) and let her know how wrong her 'facts' are about cloth nappies.

I don't actually know who she is :oops:

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:33 pm

freckle wrote:Does she have a website? You should send her an email (or someone who works for her) and let her know how wrong her 'facts' are about cloth nappies.

http://www.miriamstoppard.com/ :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: heh heh heh

My avatar
clairelou88
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby clairelou88 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:47 pm

Complete load of rubbish i say, deserves to be in the bin :mrgreen:

My avatar
winniewheresmypooh
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby winniewheresmypooh » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:51 pm

the first pregnancy i couldn't have done without her pregnancy and birth book as I had no idea what to expect but the second pregnancy I was rarther unimpressed TBH.

I remember some one I worked with was horrified that I put my nappies in the machine "covered in shit stains" and didn't soak them. She must have read this book as she soaked hers and was complaining about her sore hands :evil:

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Fayesmum » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:26 pm

:shock: Oh dear! Thats very outdated information though, I wonder if she knows anyone with a cloth wearing baby or just going from her own experience from the 1950's when perhaps terry squares were bulky? :-?

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:02 pm

Fayesmum wrote::shock: Oh dear! Thats very outdated information though, I wonder if she knows anyone with a cloth wearing baby or just going from her own experience from the 1950's when perhaps terry squares were bulky? :-?

Yes this does sound like it harks back to ye olden days where Sposies were only for the rich 'if you have to use cloth' ... why do some people still think that cloth is for poor people who can't afford new-fangled sposies and so have to scrub '$hit stained' nappies with their bare hands, run them through a mangle and then iron them ... Grrr! I suppose we still cover them with rubber pants too! :roll: :x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat