hf1

talc and reusables?

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

talc and reusables?

Postby beaubelle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 am

Can you use a small bit of talc with cloth if you use a liner? Just curious about this. My ds gets this really gross cheesy smell around his wrists and thighs, and someone mentioned using talc after his baths to dry it up. Just wanted to check before I go and ruin a tonne of nappies, if it's safe to use talc to dry him off?

Thanks!

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: talc and reusables?

Postby tanya » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:12 am

I use it without any problems. It washes out again :)

My avatar
helenNt
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby helenNt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:29 am

I would not use talc for the simple reason that it has been linked to cancers. Here's a link if you are interested.

http://www.preventcancer.com/consumers/ ... s/talc.htm

I would definitely not use talc on a girl as it has very strong links to ovarian cancer. With an overwhelming percentage of ovarian cancers having talc particles in them

Basically it is nasty stuff and it is unnecessary. Just towel dry more.

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 am

I was going to mention the cancer thing too - i've never used it and wouldnt use it on Scarlett.

I would just ensure lo is properly towel dried before putting the nappy on and maybe try using a stay dry liner to help wick any moisture away from the skin - if its particularly bad i would see the GP, he shouldn't be having smelly creases if he's bathed and properly dry often.

:hug:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 am

No I wouldnt use it either - as has been said, try and get into the creases and give them a really good pat dry. If its more than just damp, or if it doesnt clear up, then perhaps see your GP to check for a fungal infection?

My avatar
babc
Clothie
Clothie

Postby babc » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:59 pm

:shock: Didn't know talc is linked to ovarian cancer! All I knew is not to use it on newborn because some may be allergic to them.

I've been using them on DD since we've been away last Christmas (went to a warmer climate) to freshen her up a bit. I have been using it ever since.

It hasn't affected any of my nappies ( suede cloth, MF & organic cotton) , though!

My avatar
beaubelle
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby beaubelle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks ladies... Didn't know talc was so bad for babies...As for the funky smell, I'm pretty sure it is just due to my not drying his creases well enough in the past :oops: Since I 'discovered' that his skin folds actually have skin fold of their own (he's a real chubb!!) I've been able to wash and dry him better and the smell has gone. I just find it awkward drying his creases. Talc made it so much easier! Might try the cornflour idea though!

My avatar
Mock
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Mock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 pm

beaubelle wrote:Thanks ladies... Didn't know talc was so bad for babies...As for the funky smell, I'm pretty sure it is just due to my not drying his creases well enough in the past :oops: Since I 'discovered' that his skin folds actually have skin fold of their own (he's a real chubb!!) I've been able to wash and dry him better and the smell has gone. I just find it awkward drying his creases. Talc made it so much easier! Might try the cornflour idea though!

Talc is bad for anyone, not just babies.

My avatar
mammymade
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mammymade » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm

im gna try cornflour aswell because my little girl has had such a bad nappy rash and talc cleared it up so was pretty gutted to read this

x

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat