hf1

Non-talc baby powder

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Non-talc baby powder

Postby tanya » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am

... and other more "eco-friendly" baby products.

Where to get them from which don't cost the earth? I've been looking on Green Baby, but everything seems so expensive. Is this the best place to get them from?

I'd like to get some baby powder as I find it really useful, but am now put off talc based powders - I hadn't realised quite how bad they were :oops: and would also like some non-petroleum cream, maybe some nappy rash salve and a some nice eco-wipes.

I would obviously need to be buying this stuff for my newbie anyway, so would rather get the "right" stuff this time. I'd like to know where, so I can get an idea of how much it would be and maybe get my butt in gear with listing Bella's old clothes etc.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Non-talc baby powder

Postby ladybird » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:17 am

Waitrose do a good, natural, relatively cheap baby range. Not sure there's any powder in the range, but the cream is good, I think it is just coconut and avocado oils and nothing else. We've used it and I've recommended it before.
Found some here, you can check the ingredients individually.
http://www.ocado.com/webshop/getSearchP ... 3633|21430

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 am

prob the wrong thing entirely but i use avent liquid talc on t. love the stuff.x

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 am

Cornstarch powder is a good alternative http://johnsonsbaby.com/product.do?id=46 this is what I have used in the past and it was good.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:32 am

You can buy corn-starch / cornflour in the supermarket baking section and it's just as good ;)

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby beck » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 am

Velvetsteph wrote:You can buy corn-starch / cornflour in the supermarket baking section and it's just as good ;)

I've always wondered about that

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 am

I have the northern essence one but it is very simular to cornflour :wink:
john lewis sells a good range of products if you want to try some out the burts bees mini set is good has a bit of everything for about £12 :wink:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 am

beck wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:You can buy corn-starch / cornflour in the supermarket baking section and it's just as good ;)

I've always wondered about that

Obviously it won't have added aloe-vera and vitamin E like the one you linked to but for drying purposes...

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:23 pm

And these kind of products wouldn't have the same issues for babies? i.e inhalation etc? Edited, just realised I'm still being stupid. I just have to keep it at the "right end", LOL, as I would usually. But surely there's got to be less of a cancer risk for the non-talc based powders....

Can you tell I'm back to being a complete noob about all these things as I just took for granted I could use what I had been given? Should have known there would have been more to it :roll:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat