hf1

Best type of nappy for a newborn?

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Best type of nappy for a newborn?

Postby rachymoo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:36 pm

We are TTC baby #2 (so this is a bit premature seeing as I'm not even pregnant yet :giggle: never mind lol!), DD is 15 months old and I am a newbie to cloth, better late than never I suppose lol. I've treated DD (me :D ) to a couple of gorgeous Itti Bitti D'lishs, but was then planning on investing in a few birth to pottys (all in ones or pockets) so that I could use them on her and then use them for the new baby.

However - I've been told that although they are 'birth to potty', they aren't that good on newborns/small babies, is this right? If so, am I better getting some small sized pockets/AIOs (I think these are my fave type, not tried fitted/2part yet but willing to give them a go), or would the fitted/2parters with wraps be better for a newborn? Opinions please.. Thanks :) xx

My avatar
Fayesmum
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Best type of nappy for a newborn?

Postby Fayesmum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm

We found fitteds and wraps better for containing poo explosions when Faye was nb, I did have a pocket and an aio but may as well used disposables cause they held nothing :shock: We use itti's and pockets as well as fitteds now (she is 17mnths) and don't have any problems with containment

Little lambs have a good rep for tinies :wink:

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:57 pm

My bubs didnt get a good fit with BTP really and she wasnt that small either at 8lbs.

The thing is with newborn nappies is they are outgrown so quickly! If you want smalls i would recomend getting them preloved then you can just sell them on again :) so your not spending loads of money for nappies that are outgrown in a few weeks.

Personally fitted worked much better for us on izzzy newborn. Those poo explosions were lethal! We used terry squares (very cheap!) and little lambs cotton size 1 these were bulky I suppose but it didnt bother me. I was more interested in function rather than aesthetics for the pooing marathon!

I liked the upsy daisy smalls but UD aren't running any more :( Ittis did not contain the poo for us but maybe because the fit wasnt good on izzy for smalls. I used then after she had a big poo :hohoho:

any more q's feel free to ask x

My avatar
Saskia
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Saskia » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 pm

We started with cloth when Freya was 2 months old, and went straight for AIOs/pockets as they look "easier". Our BTP/one-size nappies fitted her well from that point (and she's a big girl), but I think they'd have been too big on a newborn baby. They tend to be best from about 12lbs onwards. The best nappy of this type I have found for containing newborn/breastfed poo explosions are BG organic AIOs - they come in a sized version or btp (I have the btp as it has poppers which I prefer to velcro).

Fitteds and a wrap obviously have 2 lots of elastic which = double containment, so probably more reliable in general. We're just starting to try fitteds with wool, and I must say they are no more difficult than the pocket/AIOs.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:49 am

None of the OS/BTP fit Rufus at all well even now at 10 weeks & 13lb

I have also abandoned all pockets & AIO's at this stage as I find they just don't fit well enough to contain newborn poo explosions (ajor leg gap on all we've tried - which is quite a few)... we are in fitteds pretty much full-time, he occasionally wears a WNOS or BBOS but only when I know he has already had his poo explosion for the day :giggle:

Fitteds are definately the way to go for newborns in my opinion:

You can use pretty much anything so long as you have a good wrap ... leg gussets are a must, Motherease Rikki or Thirsties are the best we've used in this respect, although it's nice to have a XS WN for a pretty one (we had no leaks with these either).

Nappywise I found tots bots & little lambs very good but huge & bulky til he was about 6 weeks old ... if you want to use from birth it's worth getting some newborn specific nappies, but as pp said, preloved is good as you don't have to spend so much for 6 weeks use, I got a mixture of preloved & new (only because i wanted him to have some that were new to him) the best we tried were Muttaquin newborn, Easy Peasy Bimble Sz0 nippa version and of course Swaddlebees OCV newborn.
There is a new shop that stocks all of these if you want to look at them, Kingdom of Fluff ... and you can usually pick these up on the sale board if you keep your eye out .. or post a wanted :D

My avatar
MissFrodo
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby MissFrodo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 pm

Isis is 6 weeks old and we use Swaddlebees size S on her little bum.
They work great!
Oh and if you have a few days, I'm gonna put lots of small sizes new and preloved in classifieds soon ;)

My avatar
subrosie
Clothie
Clothie

Postby subrosie » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 pm

Sorry to slightly hijack, but how do Lambs and ME Sandy's fair without being tumble-dried?... do these ones get a bit hard and crunchy? If so, what would be the best option for a newborn who's mum will be line drying nappies only. Thanks! :)

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:13 pm

i used xs Bumgenius AIO for DD from 4 days old, they were great, as easy as a disposable. I bought them from fillyourpants website £10.44 each. we used the receipt to claim £25 back from our local council. She outgrew them quite quickly but they were excellent for containment and i have sold some of them on for about £7.00 each. So with the incentive money they actually didn't cost us anything :D

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat