hf1

Suggestions for 3 year old?

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Suggestions for 3 year old?

Postby mabo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:04 pm

We're in our 4th week of Anna wearing cloth now and so far Joshua has insisted he wears a blue BG, and is now testing the bubblegum pink FB I got during the weekend :shock: :D (and no, I dont have a picture as he refused to have one taken :roll: ) The FB is a Petite Toddler as I bought it with the intention of having a bigger one for Anna later and it doesnt fit her right now, so Joshua said he wanted to try it. I dont want to make a big deal over it, as I dont want him to feel like this is something special I do just for Anna.

Anyway, although fully PT during the day, he still wears a nappy at nap times and during the night so I am wondering whether I should look into getting him one for when he's in bed? He is incredibly skinny, weighs just over 13kgs - he actually insisted on wearing some of his old 3-6 months trousers when Anna was born, and they fitted :shock: :shock: :shock: looked like shorts on him, but still went over his bum...
I think I prefer the look of a pocket for him instead of 2 parter, but not sure... what would you do? Or should I just keep my money and get him fully dry instead :lol:

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Suggestions for 3 year old?

Postby nic1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:17 pm

I don't see the harm in buying just a few nappies for his nap time and bed time, saves using disps/pull ups. What is he in normally hun? Not all 3 year olds are dry at night so he maybe using them awhile and then you can pass onto Anna when she's bigger/older. I would perhaps get gender neutral colours so you can pass them on! :D

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:18 pm

nic1 wrote:I don't see the harm in buying just a few nappies for his nap time and bed time, saves using disps/pull ups. What is he in normally hun? Not all 3 year olds are dry at night so he maybe using them awhile and then you can pass onto Anna when she's bigger/older. I would perhaps get gender neutral colours so you can pass them on! :D

Snap, just what I was going to say.

If you can use them for Anna later, then you've got nothing to lose. Maybe even get something one-size so that if it's no good for him, Anna can use it straight away.

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:32 pm

nic1 wrote:I don't see the harm in buying just a few nappies for his nap time and bed time, saves using disps/pull ups. What is he in normally hun? Not all 3 year olds are dry at night so he maybe using them awhile and then you can pass onto Anna when she's bigger/older. I would perhaps get gender neutral colours so you can pass them on! :D

He usually wears Pampers size 4+, but tends to be fully soaked (without leaking) in the morning so I'd need something which is able to contain a lot. I've tried to get him to wear the fluffle as it really is too big for Anna, but that he refused :roll: :lol:

I quite like the look of Pocket Bots, maybe even the Toddler pants they have... at least if he does start going to the toilet at night he'd be able to pull them down himself... I'm just worried they would not be able to hold his wee if he does go during the night :shock:

My avatar
nic1
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby nic1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:55 pm

Pocket bots do a heavy duty nappy (think Shevi as used those in the past so might be worth asking her about them) but that would hopefully help with your problem. You could stuff the pocket with some good absorbant material too to try and hold his wee should he go in the night. HTH

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:56 pm

If you stuffed well with bamboo and hemp it should hold loads - I would say a poly pocket bot would be a good plan and the toddler pants (if they've got enough room for stuffing) sounds like a good plan too...

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Little Pants » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:10 pm

Have you tried this, before you shell out on night/nap nappies. When he goes to bed, leave his bottom half naked. Leave a potty beside the bed, and make sure he knows it's there. On top of his sheet put across the bed a small waterproof sheet, topped with a doubled over bath sheet, and then a small sheet on top of the lot. This way if he has an accident, you don't have to change the whole bed, just pull out the drawer sheets, and the bed's dry underneath. I found with mine, that once they were dry in the day, they thought nigh time was different. If I put a nappy on, they would use it just because it was there, and in their sleepy state didn't remember about potties. However, if they didn't have one out, they shot out of bed, onto the potty, and then climbed back in again. It's worth a try anyway, before you shell out. If it doesn't work, then you can shell out!

My avatar
mabo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby mabo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:26 pm

mumtokirsty wrote:Have you tried this, before you shell out on night/nap nappies. When he goes to bed, leave his bottom half naked. Leave a potty beside the bed, and make sure he knows it's there. On top of his sheet put across the bed a small waterproof sheet, topped with a doubled over bath sheet, and then a small sheet on top of the lot. This way if he has an accident, you don't have to change the whole bed, just pull out the drawer sheets, and the bed's dry underneath.

I have thought of just putting him in pants actually - only problem is that he sleeps in a double bed :shock: When we had to free his cot-bed for Anna, we decided to put him in our spare double bed instead of getting rid of it to buy him a single... so there is a very large area to cover with waterproof sheets as he does tend to roll around :D

But I will give this more thought - and see if it works. My mum suggested getting him up when we got to bed and take him to the toilet and thus emptying his bladder for the rest of the night, but the times where we've tried, he has just not wanted to wake up :lol:

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:40 pm

you don;t actually have to wake him! Just lift him out of bed and sit him on the toilet or potty (whichever you prefer), apparently if you blow on his head, if he has a full bladder it should automatically release and he should wee! Than you can pop him back into bed for the rest of the night!

Otherwise a large minki pocket is a good night nappy, we use well stuffed fuzzis for ds1 here overnight to good effect! I have a pocket bot trainer (selling it actually :roll: )and I found it too narrow in the crotch for my liking! and therefore it leaks for us, so maybe not the best for overnight on a heavy wetter!

jan x

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat