hf1

Measurements on a newborn?

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Measurements on a newborn?

Postby happytails » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 pm

How can i estimate measurements for a newborn? What were the measurements for Wool/Fleece soakers/longies etc you used for your LO??

I have no idea what size baby no2 would be, DD didnt use wool until she was 4 months :-?

Help me lol x

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Measurements on a newborn?

Postby Sunset » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:30 pm

I've been wondering this too. I had a snoop around all the newborn stuff on hyenacart to get a rough idea of what the measurements they use. I can't remember the inseams now but I think a 14" rise on longies seemed to be pretty standard.

My avatar
Natalie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Natalie » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:51 am

If your asking a wahm to knit for you i would just ask for newborn size :wink:

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:05 am

The only problem with asking someone to knit newborn is that people interpert sizing slightly differently, for example most of the patterns i use say an 18" rise is large but i would only really say that was medium. Also some newborns are bigger and some smaller, i would use your current DDs size and birth to try and get an estimate of this babies size and try and go from there (just remember that's not a hard and fast rule though)

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:46 am

I'm going to go off what size Kacie was at birth, then add a bit :wink: She fit in most NB clothes for a month or so, so I think she was a fairly average newborn. I guess it also depends on what size of nappies you're going to be using as that will account for the size of the rise as much as the size of the baby.

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:33 am

I was gonna measure some 0-3 trousers and add a little

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:59 am

the new born wool i've been knitting has a rise of 14-15 inches, and a leg of 5 inches. dunno about the waist or hip size but i went on 80-86 stitches rather than the 100 i use on taliesin. ask some of the knitting whams as that's where i got the idea for size from.

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks everyone! x

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat