hf1

Getting my big girl dry

My avatar
nappy nutter
Clothie
Clothie

Getting my big girl dry

Postby nappy nutter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I have a 3 year old girl who will be 4 soon. She has been dry during the day for ages, but is sadly addicted to her night nappies. I have tried so many things to encourage her to be dry and I am sure she is dry all night and saves it till the morning. I would just love her to leave nappies behind her. I am doing a heinous thing at the moment and putting her in disposables - gasp!, but she is too big for all my size 2s and her 11month old brother is using them now anyway, so she thinks they are for babies!

Does anyone have any suggestions and/or recommend a cloth something for "big girls", that won't break the bank

Thank you :babyroll:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Getting my big girl dry

Postby Frances » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:00 pm

Some 6 year olds are still in cloth at night so try not to stress, if you think she's weeing in the morning have you tried putting her on the potty first thing, or lifting her onto the toilet when you go to bed?

Re. large night nappies, there are a few ladies with older LOs in night nappies who will no doubt be along to help, toddler Bedbugs might be big enough? They're not cheap new, but you can sometimes pick up preloved bargains, and they hold their value well. Standard Minkis are also good, they're huge pockets which I think some other mums use on 3 and 4 year olds.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Have you tried a waterproof sheet and no nappy at all? A few nights/mornings (if she is saving it) of waking up in a damp patch might be enough to get her to get up and go to the loo iyswim.

As Frances says, there are older children in nappies. My middle son is going to be 7 very soon and is showing no sign of leaving the night nappies behind. He *just* fits into Toddler Bedbugs and we've had quite a few others custom made.

My avatar
nappy nutter
Clothie
Clothie

Postby nappy nutter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 pm

I don't want to lift her as it doesn't teach her to "feel the urge". With the morning thing, she is an early waker (she wakes us at 5.30 - 6.30) and is already wet when she comes in to us. Grr. Looking forward to all your advice.
x :idea: :idea:

My avatar
jules070603
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby jules070603 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 pm

When Zach got to this point (i.e. wetting on waking) we decided to just leave off the nappy and see what happened.

We had waterproof sheets and put a potty in his room, he went on the potty every morning, he really suprised us and did really well.

Maybe its worth just leaving the nappy off? We were using disposables too and he was definately doing MASSIVE wees in one go as we got leaks and wet beds anyway :roll:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:39 pm

Isabelle has just turned four and is not ready to be dry at night yet.
Sometimes she wees in her sleep and sometimes it is in the morning when she's not awake enough yet...

She is quite tall and currently fits nicely into squish cloth - Large Fluff&Stuff heavy wetter boosted with a hollow oak soaker.

I also managed to squeeze her into her sister's size2 hollow oak this evening on the loosest snaps but I boosted outside the nappy quite a lot!

Size2 first class baby fit her quite well too...

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Our Kieran was fairly late out of night nappies at 3.5, he was a mega wee'r as well, even his pj's would be wet through his nappy (disposable) but one night we just decided to try him without and he was fine, he wee'd a teeny bit on wakening but that was it.

As Shadow suggested try the waterproof sheet thing and see how that goes. As for lifting them a night, it works for a lot of people :wink:

My avatar
Natalie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Natalie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:39 am

I would get rid of the nappies all together, have a waterproof sheet on the bed and also a square bed wet thingy (they sell them in mothercare) its probably going to take a month or so for her to get dry with washing bedding every day but it will work hun. Make sure she dosnt drink for an hr or so before bed and has a wee before she goes to sleep.

Also rewards for a dry night will help with lots of praise x

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:13 am

My eldest is 3.5years and still in nappies at night, we use disp pull ups though...I think she is fast heading towards ready to night train becuase her pull ups are dry all night when i check and then in the morning she will do a huge wee as she wakes and he pull up will leak...

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat