My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Cloth Restricting Movement???

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 am

Hi Ladies,

Just after some reassurance really ...
I have heard so many people say that friends/family/health professionals have made comments about their cloth use affecting movement/development of babies and just wondered what your experiences are ...

Rufus is almost 3 months old now & seems to be growing and thriving ... however for the last week or so I have noticed that when I take his nappy off to change him his legs & feet shoot up into the air like a huge weight has been lifted, and then (and during nappy off time) he waves his legs around in the air, kicks alot & tries to roll onto his side (I've read that this is normal for this stage of his development) ...

My concern is he shows no signs whatsoever of doing this when he has a nappy on. He does move his legs in cloth, but a lot less & only feet together apart & opening & closing legs, no lifting legs up etc ... should I be worried? I can't compare with his movement in sposies as he never wears them, we don't have any & don't want any ... I daren't mention to my non-cloth using friends or Health Visitor at the moment as I don't want to open the anti-cloth can of worms!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Cloth Restricting Movement???

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:07 am

there was another thread on this recently hun, and i think the majority found no problem, i did wonder this myself when t was younger, but it def doe not hinder him, in fact he's cruising now and has a very soft landing every time he drops on his bum. remember years ago there were mainly terry nappies and these i'd imagine would be often bulkier than alot of nappies used these days and well, we all walk and move about just fine. (i even have memories of sweaty plastic pants!) also i kinda think that if they are used to cloth, as they learn to move it will be normal to them, as they know no different. much nicer than a crispy pee filled crystal tush imo.x

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 am

Think of Linford Christie. Chances are he would have been in cloth, don't see him having problems ;)

All 3 of my boys walked before they were 1.
My dh was in terry's as a baby, his mum was told to double them up to help his hip alignment.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:13 am

ladybird wrote:Think of Linford Christie. Chances are he would have been in cloth, don't see him having problems ;)

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Thanks Ladies ... I wasn't thinking of switching to sposies, no way! Just wanted to get some reassurance in case anyone else mentions this!

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:15 am

trust me, he won't stay put for long! he'll have his fingers in all the pies soon enough :-)

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 am

Bella learnt to sit, roll etc when having nappy off time, but she soon mastered it with a nappy on as well. I have no cencerns about putting Sproglet in cloth as I know he will master various movements in his own time.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21 am

Liana was in disposables till she was 18 months she didn't move an inch till she was 13 months then it was a weird half crawl :giggle: she was a (whispers lazy lump) Harry a full on cloth bum was on the move at 11 months full scale proper crawling then walking at 15 months
baby bee can sit but is not bothered about moving :giggle: why when you can sit and look cute :giggle: but she does love a bit of naked half rolling and legs in the air :giggle:
I have piccies of liana doing the whole eat feet wiggling again this was nappy free but she was wearing disposables so think some babies just like being free of all clothes :giggle:

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:34 am

Both of mine have been in cloth, Cameron started to walk at 16 months and Archie at just over 12 (plus he was 8 weeks early so adjusted would be just over 10) I don't think it made any difference at all, looking at their sposie wearing peers :D

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:41 am

:hug:

Both of mine have been in cloth, Megan didnt roll till she was 8 months, crawl till she was 1 and took her first steps when she was 16 months (almost 17 months)...Kieren however has been rolling pretty much since he was a couple of months old, crawled at 8 months and walked at 11 months :) They just all do things differntly hun :hug:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat