hf1

How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:32 pm

Annette wrote:All we can do is spread the word. Unfortunately there is alot of money in disposable nappies and high street shops are going to be unwilling to swap this for something that only has a single sale value and you don't keep coming back to the store for more. The big disp companies have a far greater budget for marketing too. I think this is why it is such a shame that the local councils aren't doing much more, they are the ones who will benefit from the reduction in the cost of waste disposal - but in my experience they are very short sighted :roll:

I agree and I also think that the project managers that some councils have in place, running the schemes dont know enough themselves.

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Woozle35 wrote: I agree and I also think that the project managers that some councils have in place, running the schemes dont know enough themselves.

When our local council nappy lady visited me a long time ago, she had very little knowledge - I knew more than her & I was only just starting out. She didn't even know about bamboo or hemp inserts - just cotton TB nappies & wonderoos really :roll: . If it wasn't for advice from babykind, I'd have given up years ago.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:05 pm

The stats really are shocking - but it makes me feel good everyday to know that I'm doing our small part to help. I know a few other people in cloth, and am trying to convert people all the time - have managed to get a couple of people to at least try them out :lol:

Our local council is actually very good in this respect, and it was them that put me in touch with the local nappy network initially (although I'm personally friends with the Environmental and Waste officers which didn't hurt!). I attended a nappucino this morning that they organised too, but the shame was that there were only about 6 people there :-(

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Our local council incentive is actually fab and i think more should step up to the plate!

When i got the leaflet (same one as with Megan) its a baby in a cute nature babies wrap...it talks about the different types etc...with Megan the cashback was £30...with Kieren it was a whopping £100!! :wine: Now thats improvement and encouragement!

My avatar
Woozle35
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby Woozle35 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Miss_Purple wrote:The stats really are shocking - but it makes me feel good everyday to know that I'm doing our small part to help. I know a few other people in cloth, and am trying to convert people all the time - have managed to get a couple of people to at least try them out :lol:

Our local council is actually very good in this respect, and it was them that put me in touch with the local nappy network initially (although I'm personally friends with the Environmental and Waste officers which didn't hurt!). I attended a nappucino this morning that they organised too, but the shame was that there were only about 6 people there :-(

megansmummy wrote:Our local council incentive is actually fab and i think more should step up to the plate!

When i got the leaflet (same one as with Megan) its a baby in a cute nature babies wrap...it talks about the different types etc...with Megan the cashback was £30...with Kieren it was a whopping £100!! :wine: Now thats improvement and encouragement!

:wine: Thats really good to hear, ours is rubbish :(

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 pm

A huggies size 4 is 43g acording to my ever so slightly dodgy kitchen scales.

Our council offers sweet nothings as an incentive. We recently went to fortnighty collections too and they sent a leaflet about what waste goes in what bin and ways to cut down on ribbish. One part said use washable nappies then nothing. No elaborating or contact here for more info. Ive asked them many times to no avail.

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Just a thought ladies but since it clear that most councils/midwifes/HV's etc wont for one reason or another promote cloth, for the environmental side, aswell as cost etc, why dont CNT design a information leaflet/poster say A4 size with a little colour, maybe a pretty pic or two(i see cloth bum photo comp opurtuntity :giggle: ), and each of us get say 100 printed (much cheaper than buying sposies and maybe hopefully we can find a eco way of doing this) and put a few up in out local nurserys, baby clinics/clubs, doctors surgeries etc etc with proper cloth info including the statistics that MrClothMama is currently calculating, to promote cloth in our own way, at least we can then know the information given out is correct and even if only a couple from the 100 leaflets printed make a difference we will at least by saving at least 4000 nappies from landfill per child,

Could this be achived? xxx

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 pm

There used to be CNT business cards waaaaaaaaaaay back when CNT started ;) :giggle:

But I like the idea of a poster with facts and figures - simple and hard hitting...

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:24 am

I think that is a great idea and i think I'll try to get something done at the end of semester break (June / July). As Steph said we did have cards and I was going to do a little pamphlet for people to hand out as well but the idea got put on the back burner when we made the big move from France to Oz!

Mr CM there are a few toddler sized ones in Louis cupboard left over from our roadtrip! :giggle: I'll weigh one later!

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat