hf1

How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:45 am

Mr Clothmama wrote:Wow. So at 28g we're already at 10.3 tonnes of disposable nappies.

I wonder if that's a heavy nappy or not? Any others?

Is 28g when wet or dry though?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby nappynutter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:46 am

Mr Clothmama wrote:110.5131 tonnes @ 300g wet weight!

TBH the dry weight is more interesting as the rest is mostly organic material that breaks down quickly. There is however the cost to the environment of moving all that weight around from house to disposal so it's probably worth including. How much diesel is used to move 110 tonnes!!


Unfortunately, in the UK landfill is covered over so the raw untreated sewage contained in the plastic nappy has virtually no chance of breaking down (especially as the nappy has been sealed in another plastic rubbish bag before going to landfill). This is why the government funded WRAP and the Real Nappy Campaign as nappy waste is a real problem for councils.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:46 am

Annette wrote:
Mr Clothmama wrote:TBH the dry weight is more interesting as the rest is mostly organic material that breaks down quickly. There is however the cost to the environment of moving all that weight around from house to disposal so it's probably worth including. How much diesel is used to move 110 tonnes!!


I am not sure that is right - the liquid is absorbed by the gel crystal thingys so I am not sure it would break down quickly - it isn't like a cloth nappy where the liquid will evaporate, the liquid in a disposable goes solid and even if left out in the air, I don't think it has the opportunity to be released. I am not a scientist though so I really don't have a clue :giggle:

Yep I was going to say the same thing, it's locked into the gel :?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby nappynutter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:54 am

The gel is called sodium polyacrylate and it's used because it holds onto liquid. It's a chemical reaction which is why it's not healthy for a baby's skin.

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby Annette » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:03 am

nappynutter wrote:The gel is called sodium polyacrylate and it's used because it holds onto liquid. It's a chemical reaction which is why it's not healthy for a baby's skin.


Yeah that!

So it is worth using the wet weight rather than the dry, and as you say Mr CM, there is a cost to transport it all to the landfill sites

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 am

Mr Clothmama wrote: mostly organic material that breaks down quickly.

Actually part of the problem is that it doesn't break down quickly because it's usually sealed in plastic bags with no access to extra moisture or air...
This applies to all waste though not just disposable nappies... So called biodegradable packaging isn't much good when sealed in a plastic bag that isn't biodegradable though more and more plastic sacks used to dispose of waste these days are becoming bidegradable which will help somewhat and they are often ripped open by the bin lorry etc.

Disposables have a plastic coated outer, and are usually wraped up on themselves when disposed of, and then either wrapped in a plastic nappy sack and then in a binbag, or put in a nappy wrapper which compacts all the disps into a plastic sac...

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby Shaunie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:05 am

Reading this post has made me wonder about the effect of eco-sposies as oppose to gel & plastic ones? I NEVER use nasty sposies but I do occasionally use eco-sposies, knowing that they are better for babies skin & assuming that they are better for the environment :-?

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby flutterby » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:09 am

Shaunie wrote:Reading this post has made me wonder about the effect of eco-sposies as oppose to gel & plastic ones? I NEVER use nasty sposies but I do occasionally use eco-sposies, knowing that they are better for babies skin & assuming that they are better for the environment :-?



I think it's the same principle as Steph was saying in the previous post in that, yes, they will biodegrade given the chance, but shipped off to a landfill in a plastic bin bag they could be just as bad, if you composted them that would make them far more eco friendly, but obviously there is still the manufacturing to take into consideration.

My avatar
beck
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Site Supporter

Re: How much does a disposable nappy weigh?

Postby beck » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 am

Velvetsteph wrote:
Mr Clothmama wrote:Wow. So at 28g we're already at 10.3 tonnes of disposable nappies.

I wonder if that's a heavy nappy or not? Any others?

Is 28g when wet or dry though?


28g is the dry weight of a small disp

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat