hf1

small nappies how many

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

small nappies how many

Postby sjm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:03 am

i have some prefolds i love for newborn but Lucas grew like wildfire so unsure how many small to buy. I want a few nice girly nappies and woolies . Dont know how many to get or should i wait and get more medium. Will buy some btp but dont think they will do newborn as well.
Help need some advice
sarah

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: small nappies how many

Postby monsterm » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:16 am

What weight was your first baby? The way I see it is there will always be a market on here for nb nappies. You have loads of time so just stock up as many as you think you will need. I would think at least 20 as newborns get changed more often. Get a few smalls/mediums as well so that you are not stuck if the newborns don't last long.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Yes, they do need changing quite a lot to start with dont they! I would say get a variety of brands if you can. Sandys and Thirsties XS have worked well with both of mine but they were on the long, skinny side. Max was wearing his bumGenius from about 2 weeks and it never really leaked.

My avatar
sjm
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby sjm » Sat May 01, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks my first baby was only 7lb 9 but at 17 days was already 9lb 12.5 .
my buy some newborn and btp see how we go.
sarah

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:36 am

It is really hard to know, isn't it? DS2 was 8lb 13oz at birth and didn't fit any of the newborn nappies I had bought at all. He went straight into smalls and fitted some mediums by a few weeks old. I had about 25-30 fitteds and 8 wraps for him.

DS3 was expected to be 9lb + so I didn't bother to buy many NB again. He was only 7lb 2oz though! I had to stock up on Newborn quickly. :giggle: He fitted his Newborn nappies until he was about 10 weeks old. Again I had around 25-30 nappies and 6-8 wraps that fitted at anyone time.

As people have said you have lots of time to build up a newborn and small stash. I tried to get the small/NB stuff cheaply and nothing very fancy because as you say they grown out of them so fast. I saved my money and bought some nice medium things which fitted for much longer.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat May 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I have a customer who is expecting a large baby in about a week. I advised her to go straight for small (rather than XS) and use a nippa if its still a bit big. Until the baby is out though no one really knows the shape and what might fit.

My avatar
Sally
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Sally » Sat May 01, 2010 3:52 pm

i found small weenotions northern lights fab as they popper down for newborn but last till 15lbs :D

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat May 01, 2010 4:05 pm

I bought some nice pretty smalls like ittis but they just got pooed on immediately and were not great for containing those breastfed poos! I really loved using terries for newborn because we just went through so many! And you can just throw them straight in on a hot wash.

I also used little lamb size 1 yes they were a bit bulky but still GORGEOUS look!
sorry pics are huge just right click em and view image. Just to show you fit of different nappies on newborn

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=45472

I had 10 terries, 10 LL AND about 5 small pockets, that was more than enough HTH x

My avatar
freyasmummy
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby freyasmummy » Sat May 01, 2010 6:29 pm

Now, DS was 10lb 12oz born and was 10lb 9.5oz on thursday, and still fits in newborn mutts! He has a little bum, bless him, so it just goes to show you can never tell!

We are loving the nb mutts, nippa sz 1 tots, terries and xs sandies for fitteds; Bumgenius Small AIO and OS pockets poppered down are fitting beautifully and drying fast, ittis are a lovely low fit for under the cord stump, OBB Marathons in small and small fuzzis (after the cord dropped off as high fitting) are all on heavy rotation too.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat