hf1

Yeast infection help

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Yeast infection help

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi a friend of mine who uses cloth on her boy is having trouble again with a yeast infection. He got one a couple of months ago, which took a long time to clear up. She stripped his nappies, sterilized them by boiling and now uses tee tree oil in her washes. But its come back again.

Has anyone got any ideas? She uses bamboozles with minkee liners or fleece and has a couple of ittis (thanks to me :giggle: and a new WN also thanks to me :giggle: )

My avatar
bex34-2008
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Yeast infection help

Postby bex34-2008 » Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm

We had this with DS, only thing that seemed to work was keep changing him every couple of hours.

His nappies used to go to a laundry service so where sterilised each week and he still had it 3 times in one year.

We did take him out of cloth one time but it didn't help so put him back in it.

Our doctor just said that some people are more prone to infection than others, so no help at all :(

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Fri May 07, 2010 4:50 pm

Mine is prone too. Grapefruit seed extract drops in the water hekps x

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 pm

bubbaloo wrote:Mine is prone too. Grapefruit seed extract drops in the water hekps x

Oooh that sounds interesting! - uummm which water though? the drinking water or the washing nappy water or the bath water?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat May 08, 2010 8:36 am

Any other ideas?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat May 08, 2010 12:24 pm

Washing at 60 degrees should kill all bacteria in the nappies so its not likely to be them that are the problem.

What is his diet like? Changing his diet should help to reduce the likelihood of recurrent infections. Things to do are - cutting down the amount of sugar - yeast thrives on sugar, eating yogurt that contains live lactobacilius acidophilis. Also try and stick to clothes made from natural materials rather than synthetic.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat May 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Louise wrote:Washing at 60 degrees should kill all bacteria in the nappies so its not likely to be them that are the problem.

What is his diet like? Changing his diet should help to reduce the likelihood of recurrent infections. Things to do are - cutting down the amount of sugar - yeast thrives on sugar, eating yogurt that contains live lactobacilius acidophilis. Also try and stick to clothes made from natural materials rather than synthetic.

He does have a very healthy varied and balanced diet, and I think she got something from the health food shop that contained live bacteria last time.

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Sun May 09, 2010 9:28 am

GSE drops in water for washing baby's bum.
I dont use wipes as they make him a bit more sore...

When i dont use drops I really notice difference!

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Sun May 09, 2010 9:30 am

How old is your baby again?
I got so desperate i now put him on the potty as soon as I take his nappy off...done this from 5 weeks old! he is now 5 mths. Bit funny at first but helps his rash tremendously. Called EC.. Elimination communication.

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat