hf1

Returning to work... help and ideas please!

My avatar
Twinmamma
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Returning to work... help and ideas please!

Postby Twinmamma » Mon May 10, 2010 8:30 am

Hi Ladies,

I'm returning to work in 4 weeks time :cry: and am desparate to keep my boys in their cloth nappies. Their childminder is happy to support this but I'm worried she may not be so keen after a couple of weeks if I don't make it as easy as possible for her.

So, I have a mountain of questions: If you've returned to work, how did you manage your cloth nappies? Which ones did you find worked best for your babes, you and your child carer? Did you use washable wipes as well and how many did you need so you could use them at home and away? So many questions :oops: and I suspect I may have more!

Thanks!

Natalie xxx

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Returning to work... help and ideas please!

Postby daydreamer » Mon May 10, 2010 9:19 pm

I just always gave the easiest possible nappies, so my pocket nappies like my Blueberries etc with hook and loop fastening were already stuffed etc and all she had to do was put it on. I told her just to put poopy nappies in a nappy bag and I'll sort them when i get home. After a while she was happy to do the poppered nappies like my ittis but again I always made sure they were already for her and she didn't have to do any of the folding etc. Good luck!

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Mon May 10, 2010 9:26 pm

I send Oliver with bumgenius and paper liners. Nursery are great and even rinse very mucky nappies if they need it. They are happy to use a wetbag. They aren't so keen on poppers, so we send him in in those rather than them having to use them.

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon May 10, 2010 10:01 pm

I'm planning on using BGs for nursery when I go back to work, probably with interlock trousers over the top so if they don't change as often as they should at least her clothes won't be soaked.

She'll only be going for about 5 hours a day though so only likely to be one change as long as she's in a fresh nappy when I drop her off, and change her as soon as I pick her up.

I'd prefer them to use fitteds and wool, but can't really expect other people to be as happy handling a nappy soaked with my DDs wee as I am!

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Agree with the others-
we have always sent the easiest to use (BGs and pop-ins) with a paper liner as they're happier flushing the poo than leaving it in the wet bag. Natalie's out of nappies now, but for Ryan I put the nappies and a wet bag in his nursery bag, and they take them out to put on his peg. At the end of the day the wet bag is there ready for me, and any spare nappies are back in his bag.
Would love to send cloth wipes, but TBH it's easier just to give them a pack of eco disposable ones every month, one less thing for me to remember! :)

Just make sure to have a word about nappy cream and cloth, as nursery was a bit over-enthusiastic about using sudocrem in the early days.... With Ryan I've sent desitin, but taped a note to it saying not to use unless absolutely needed, and I've sent a stash of fleece liners they can put in the nappy if they feel he needs the cream.

My avatar
bubbaloo
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby bubbaloo » Tue May 11, 2010 10:16 am

Agree, Bumgenius.. easy to fit. No poppers. kept wool at home.
Yes to washable wipes...as cant use shop bought ones.
Always give more wipes than you think you will need!
I also has a few disposies incase of sore bum...needed metanium
HTH x

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby tiyuricc » Tue May 11, 2010 10:25 am

For DS we only had tots bamboozle velcro nappies with rikki wraps, so that's what went with him to nursery with paper liners. The nursery were great, flusshed the ikky liners and gave us back the just wet ones so we could wash them and reuse them at home. We also asked them to leave the disposable wipes in the nappy because those got washed and used at home with water.... i thought that was safer than proper washable wipes in case temp people were in and threw them out. We're still reusing all the wipes that he brought home with him ... dd is now 2 months old and we've not needed to buy any wipes yet, they must have all been washed at least 20 times and are still going strong. I've found the best ones for reuse are the simple baby wipes, some of the others come out like washed tissues. I'm kind of hoping they disintegrate soon so i can buy some nice washable wipes, but they just seem to keep going.

My avatar
kt24
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby kt24 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:34 pm

Nursery are fine about using the cloth and most of the time get them on properly. We sent a mixture of Fuzzi Bunz and Green kids pockets because its hard to get those wrong. They have a little girl in proper Terries too so I'm sure they'd be fine with whatever I sent really.

They like Paper liners so I provide them with those even though we don't use them at home.

We had to explain the wetbag a few times because they kept wrapping nappies in nappy sacks before putting them in the wet bag. :roll:

We send disposable wipes to nursery just because it's easier and he only needs about 1 pack each term. I'd worry that my cloth wipes wouldn't come back.

I'm sure the CM will be fine with it once she's confident with them.
Good luck with your return to work.

My avatar
e586
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby e586 » Tue May 11, 2010 2:02 pm

mine do poo ones in a nappy sack then the wet bag :) keep telling them they don't have to though!!

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat