hf1

Tributyl tin

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Tributyl tin

Postby gayleygoo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:56 am

Tributyl tin is a chemical found in disposable nappies - one of the main concerns about their use.

http://www.nappies.net/tbt.htm

However it is also apparently found in polyutherane - the stuff PUL wraps are covered in. while wraps arent as close to a baby's skin as a disposable nappy would be, should it be worrying?

Understandbly, it would probably be impossible to not come into contact with this stuff, as it is in many plastic products which we are surrounded by everyday.

But is it misleading to tell cloth nappy parents that their baby is much safer from chemicals than babies who wear disposables? xx

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Tributyl tin

Postby ladybird » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:52 pm

Another reason to use wool!!!!

Sorry can't really help out with whether or not it's as worrying in PUL wraps, but then I doubt there's as much in a wrap as there is in a disposable?

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:30 pm

TBH I think the combination of chemicals they use in disposables are very scary. And the lack of research into these chemicals is even worse.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:12 pm

Plus the PUL doesn't really come into contact with the skin...

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:06 am

thats what i was generally thinking...im sure TBT isnt the only worrying chemical in dispsies and theres bound to be less of it in contact with bub's skin with a cloth nappy...

yes, another reason to use wool yay!! xx :D

My avatar
Annette
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby Annette » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am

I was trying to look into some more information on this as the link you have posted is several years old. Interestingly when you try a search on it, most of the info is from it being used as paint on ships but I think it has been banned because of the effect on marine life. But I am sure it must be in a different form than that used in nappies.

I think there must be fewer chemicals in pul than in disps so you would be justified in saying that they would expose a child to fewer chemicals. And the pul doesn't really touch the skin, maybe a little with wraps but not at all with pockets.

I think it is about giving out all the information - whenever I do demos, I talk about the options available and ask what is important to people, for some people it is just the money aspect, for others it is the landfill issue, for some it is about buying British and for some it is about ensuring they use natural fabrics so I point out the best things to use would be organic cotton or bamboo with woolly wraps and this certainly would expose a child to fewer chemicals than disps.

So yes it probably is wrong to just give a blanket statement that cloth is better than disps because of the chemicals but it is about giving a balanced view and working out what you are most comfortable using.

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat