hf1

What's the point in microfibre?

My avatar
emilymiller
Clothie
Clothie

What's the point in microfibre?

Postby emilymiller » Mon May 10, 2010 7:17 pm

and does anyone just not bother with it in their pocket nappies?

Was redoing all the nappies this afternoon and realised that with microfibre in them they are so bulky (along with 2 hemp inserts for absorbency). Ruairi isn't a power wetter, just a very very heavy wetter, so I took the MF out and added another hemp booster. I was also thinking that in 2 part nappies the whole "needs something to absorb pee quickly before storing" isn't an issue and you don't get leaks like I've heard you can in pockets, yet there's often not any mf in 2 parters is there? I've never been brave enough to try it before so hope it won't backfire and he won't come back from the childminders with wet clothes tomorrow :crossbaby:

So is MF just a random thing that it's advised to put in pockets, or can you just go without completely? It's funny how much slimmer (well as slim as heavily stuffed pockets can get anyway!) his nappies are now I've removed the mf!

My avatar
northernruth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: What's the point in microfibre?

Postby northernruth » Mon May 10, 2010 7:24 pm

I liked it and used to always use it with bamboo and hemp, but often just small boosters or microfibre cloths for the "quick absorbency" element.

People like it because it dries quicker, and a nappy stuffed entirely with microfibre is much lighter and softer (squishier iykwim) at least when dry

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon May 10, 2010 7:29 pm

We don't use any microfibre.but we use bamboo with hemp as hemp can be quite slow to absorb.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Mon May 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I love MF! Max is a light wetter and I dont have a tumble dryer so its great for us.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 pm

We didn't use it but you will need something on top of the hemp as it is slow to adsorb, bamboo is fine

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon May 10, 2010 7:34 pm

I hate MF...i always find it smells nasty even when the nappies dont...i dont like the feel of it either :oops:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon May 10, 2010 7:39 pm

I don't like it because it's bulky for the absorbency, squishes wee out easily when wet (so doesn't 'hold' wee well) and for us is the main causes of rashes...

However it is lightweight and very very quick to absorb, cheap to make too...

I stick to bamboo and hemp ;)

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Mon May 10, 2010 7:40 pm

I don't like the feel of MF either, but I always thought you needed it to absorb wee faster, then hemp or bamboo for storing it (as apparently MF alone will give up it's moisture under pressure, so you need the bamboo etc to collect that).

We tend to use minimal MF though, I love BBOS inserts and always use a bamboo insert along with the MF ones in my BG, rather than two MF ones. They are more bulky though, so although they are light they are big.

MF tends to dry quicker than bamboo or hemp though I've noticed, so it can be useful if you only want to have a small stash and don't have much drying room.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Mon May 10, 2010 8:06 pm

Can't say I love it either, especially the feel of it. However, I use BG and they are stuffed with the 2 inserts that come with it. Max is a heavy-wetter and they cope fine with him for up to 3 hours. I also love the fact they dry overnight. I do have bamboo and hemp boosters but I find these are more bulky than my BGs and have had more leaks with them :roll:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat