hf1

What's the point in microfibre?

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: What's the point in microfibre?

Postby daydreamer » Mon May 10, 2010 9:12 pm

We have quite a mixture of materials but we do use microfibre, simply because we don't have a tumble dryer and MF dries a lot quicker than other materials such as bamboo/hemp etc etc. If drying wasn't as issue i would probably have more bamboo though.

My avatar
Orchid
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Orchid » Mon May 10, 2010 9:37 pm

With my dd we used only microfibre and I was just starting out with hemp when we stopped. We lived in nz and houses are alot different over there cause you don't have double glazing and central heating as standard so houses are alot damper even though it's a warmer climate. Our microfibre would take up to 36 hours to dry on airers so I used the dryer a bit. So I doubt I would be able to get my lovely fitteds dry if we were living over there. But yes with microfibre I had to strip them alot cause they smelt bad! I have replaced all my microfibre with bamboo terry squares cause they're less bulky and more squishy and dry overnight on airers. But I only use my pockets when there is nothing else.

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Mon May 10, 2010 10:00 pm

I always used bamboo on top of hemp in our pockets.

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm

megansmummy wrote:i dont like the feel of it either :oops:

I agree with this, especially when my hands are a bit dry, and my dry skin clicks on the mf. Ugh, makes me shiver just thinking about it, I hate it when it happens, it makes me cringe and almost makes me sick. (yeah, I'm a bit weird)

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Tue May 11, 2010 7:55 am

megansmummy and Geordie_Girl, I agree about it feeling horrible! I've got a bit of eczema on my hand sand it always 'catches' on my skin - ewww, it's yuck. Saying that though I do use it, I like the fact that it dries so quickly and the nappies are always nice and soft/squishy with MF inserts.

Rach xx

My avatar
emilymiller
Clothie
Clothie

Postby emilymiller » Tue May 11, 2010 7:58 am

Emma1977 wrote:Can't say I love it either, especially the feel of it. However, I use BG and they are stuffed with the 2 inserts that come with it. Max is a heavy-wetter and they cope fine with him for up to 3 hours. I also love the fact they dry overnight. I do have bamboo and hemp boosters but I find these are more bulky than my BGs and have had more leaks with them :roll:

Wow... 2 BG inserts would last Ruairi approx an hour!! Even with a BG large and a BG newborn insert, plus a hemp or bamboo insert underneath only lasts 2 hours before leaking!! I've never understood when people have said they use only MF inserts as even when Ruairi wa s a newborn he could out pee a large BG insert with a hemp booster underneath in less than an hour! That said, if I don't have any night nappies then I'll put a sposie on him and a pocket stuffed with 2 fuzzi bunz inserts, and that lasts the night just fine... MF does have it's uses, lol! So mf's not even that great for us - just adds bulk without actually being very efficient :nono:

Geordie_Girl wrote:

I agree with this, especially when my hands are a bit dry, and my dry skin clicks on the mf. Ugh, makes me shiver just thinking about it, I hate it when it happens, it makes me cringe and almost makes me sick. (yeah, I'm a bit weird)

I really hate the feel of them... some of my BG inserts feel OK now, but htey're old anyway, but the newer ones feel awful! I have excema on my hands an dmy skin is often split and bleeding, and MF inserts just make me cringe *shudders* :evil:

Orchid wrote:But yes with microfibre I had to strip them a lot cause they smelt bad!

I never considered that the mf could be responsible for the smells... wonder if that'll change now that I've taken it out!

Well, I stuffed all my pockets with hemp and bamboo only an dwe'll see what happens. As I said, Ruairi is a stupidly heavy wetter, but he's not a power wetter (ie it doesn't come out really fast - he's a little and often child). I told my child minder that she has to change him more often now - she's so good and completely understood that it's illogical to keep adding and adding to Ruairi's pockets so they last, making them so bulky and him more uncomfortable, so she'll change him even more often.
I was just figurring that OBV 2 part nappies, or nappies like baby beehinds hemp or bamboo nappies don't have any MF in them, yet noone says you have to add MF to avoid leaks! Can't see what's different with a pocket nappy, but we'll see eh!

Will let you know what happens... hopefully we won't have any nasty surprises tonight!

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 am

Geordie_Girl wrote:

I must admit that I get this problem a lot and hate it :(

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 am

emilymiller wrote:I was just figurring that OBV 2 part nappies, or nappies like baby beehinds hemp or bamboo nappies don't have any MF in them, yet noone says you have to add MF to avoid leaks! Can't see what's different with a pocket nappy, but we'll see eh!

Will let you know what happens... hopefully we won't have any nasty surprises tonight!

You don't need mf in a pocket nappy at all unless you are using a hemp insert then you need something on top of that to absorb more quickly but that can be mf, cotton or bamboo. Fitted nappies that are made of hemp work because you don't really get wicking with a fitted nappy.

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 am

emilymiller wrote:Wow... 2 BG inserts would last Ruairi approx an hour!! Even with a BG large and a BG newborn insert, plus a hemp or bamboo insert underneath only lasts 2 hours before leaking!! I've never understood when people have said they use only MF inserts as even when Ruairi wa s a newborn he could out pee a large BG insert with a hemp booster underneath in less than an hour! That said, if I don't have any night nappies then I'll put a sposie on him and a pocket stuffed with 2 fuzzi bunz inserts, and that lasts the night just fine... MF does have it's uses, lol! So mf's not even that great for us - just adds bulk without actually being very efficient :nono:

I remember when my DD (now 7) was in nappies, we used minki pockets all the time. All I stuffed them with was 2 microfibre cloths folded into three each!

I can't believe that that is all we used to use in her nappies. We never had leaks!

With DS2 we use more but still don't need an awful lot. With his BB side snaps we just use the insert that comes with it plus a three layer microfibre inserts - lasts 4 hours easily. Managed 7 one day when he was unwell and slept all day! :shock:

Helen xx

PreviousNext

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat