hf1

ammonia smell

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

ammonia smell

Postby lazylexis » Wed May 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Nathan's night nappies from day one have always stunk of ammonia in the morning. His pyjamas do too and any blankets or grobags he wears on top. He usually has a night nappy and wool or fleece soaker on. It even happens with new nappies and after stripping. Not sure how to get rid of it and think we may be stuck like it. Any advice? Doesn't seem to be teething related and he still feeds overnight so wee shouldn't be that concentrated.He tends to have the nappy on for around 12 hours.

My avatar
rachel
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: ammonia smell

Postby rachel » Wed May 12, 2010 4:54 pm

We get the smell too. Is it not just related to how concentrated the pee is??? :D

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 pm

We have one nappy that I got pre-loved that always smells like that in the morning, after srip washing it is fine after one wear but then starts to smell again in the morning x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Wed May 12, 2010 4:59 pm

Ryan used to be exactly the same, I had to wash his nighttime wool after every single wear. I think it's just where the wee is more concentrated at night. Wool/fleece make the smell worse too as some of the liquid evaporates.

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Wed May 12, 2010 5:26 pm

We get it too. There is an eye watering smell in the morning in Max's room. Nothing makes a difference for us.

My avatar
daydreamer
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby daydreamer » Wed May 12, 2010 5:58 pm

We used to get this too, especially on night nappies and BG. We changed to washing in soap nuts and the smell is barely noticable now, made a huge difference :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed May 12, 2010 6:59 pm

barley water helps with this

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:barley water helps with this

Sorry to sound stupid Steph, is that for the lo's to drink or to rinse nappy with? :oops:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed May 12, 2010 8:07 pm

becky1978 wrote:
Velvetsteph wrote:barley water helps with this

Sorry to sound stupid Steph, is that for the lo's to drink or to rinse nappy with? :oops:

Drink :lol: go find Littlesez's thread on it - you boil some barley in water, and use that water (cooled obviously) for the baby/child to drink and it neutralises the wee...

Works wonders for ladies with cystitis too ;)

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat