hf1

just a little newbie advice needed please!!

My avatar
stacey127
Clothie
Clothie

just a little newbie advice needed please!!

Postby stacey127 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:30 am

Im new here-Hi!! :wink: im 24 weeks pregnant with identical twin girls (momo's) and i have teenage boys-i used disposables with the boys but would love to give cloth a try with the girls :) but..... i have absolutley no idea where to start!! i have no friends with babies at all let alone cloth lovers so any advice would be great,They will prob be in nicu for a while so disposables there-then.... do i use them from when we come home or wait for a while? which would you say are a good starter? are the inserty bits easy to find on the high street? does everything wash-or are there throw away liners? what are washable wipes all about? eeeekkk.... so many questions!! sorry :oops: just want to get a bit of an insight so i get it right,hope someone can help xx stacey xx

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: just a little newbie advice needed please!!

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri May 14, 2010 9:35 am

I used Bambino Mios on Dawn from a couple of weeks old and... they were awful :oops: :oops: I know lots of mums here feel the same so I'd avoid them :oops: :oops:

Little Lambs are nice (they need a waterproof wrap too, you can buy full kits from their website)
And I've heard nothing but good things about Bum Geinus (They dont need a wrap, it's built in) but I've never used them personally as Dawn is now too big and I didn't know about them when she was tiny :(

Cloth wipes are just that. Just cloth that you wet (just water, or you can make or buy your own wipes solution). Much nicer than disp wipes ;) :giggle:

I used cloth on Dawn from a couple of weeks old, only because my Nana went a bit mad buying packs of newborn disps :roll: :giggle: But there's nothing stopping you from using them from the very start
I think cloth is very Trial and Error, as every child is different (You might even find that your girls will have different nappy needs!) but you can always buy pre-loved and also sell on anything that doesnt work for you to get some funds back.
Classifieds can be VERY addictive :wink: :hohoho:

And congrats again! :wine:

ETA: Oh, we also used Mothercare's Smart Nappy which I know a lot of mum's weren't keen on but we liked them a lot. Almost every nappy company does a 'trial pack' so you can buy a couple of each to try them out before you commit to having a stash full of them :)

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Fri May 14, 2010 10:21 am

:idea:

Right...

There are shaped/fitted nappies that would need a wrap, the whole thing goes in the wash...wrap and all...you can use the wraps more than once before washing unless it gets messy...

Then there are pocket nappies which you stuff the required amount of absorbancy into but they have a cover built in the outside so you dont add a wrap (bumgenius, weenotions etc etc) I dont know much about disposable inserts but there are some around..maybe someone can be more help :)

Washable wipes, like stacy said are just that...washable wetwipes that you can use with plain water or you can buy wipe wash on websites such a bums n roses, jaubla nappies, bibsnbots etc (just google the names).

As for tiny babies, its completly up to you...some people use cloth from birth and some people take a couple of weeks (or longer) to get into it, both mine have been in cloth from about 3 weeks or so :)

For very little babies there are preemie cloth nappies (again google that) and there are also extra smalls in makes such as bumgenius, sandies, thirsties, kissaluvs etc)

www.babykind.co.uk
www.kittykins.co.uk

are good sites to look at as they stock lots of different brands and are easy to understand in terms of sizing :) there are alot of WAHMS (work at home mothers) that makes nappies too that will customise sizes... www.puddlekins.co.uk is a fab fab one, her nappies are gorgeous!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri May 14, 2010 10:31 am

Congratulations :wine: :wine:

Little lambs are fantastic. They are a 2 part nappy but they come with a wrap, booster & fleece liner. You can get disposable liners but the fleece liners also act as a barrier between wet nappy & babies skin. All can just be thrown into a lidded bucket. There is no need to soak & just bung into the washing machine.

They are a great nappy to start out on, although they maybe a little big for your girls for a couple of weeks depending on what size they are. The bamboo nappies are the best ones.

My advice though would be to spend a little time on here, read the reviews & ask questions before deciding what nappy to go for. There are so many brands out there it can be confusing. I would second what Stacy said though & avoid Bambino Mio & mothercare smart nappy.

My avatar
Twinmamma
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby Twinmamma » Fri May 14, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi.

Congratulations to you :wine: I have 8 month old non identical twin boys, twins are a real blessing and definitely double the love and fun!

I used cloth with my boys from when they were 3 months old. I was horrified at the amount of wipes and nappies we were throwing away and had some cloth from when I'd had my daughter. I'm not sure I could have done it from the start, the boys totally overwhelmed me at first but once I got into a routine with them and the washing, it became second nature.

If you use them from very early on, you're going to need a lot of nappies... my two went through an average of 8 nappies each a day at first so I would think that you will need about 18/ 20 to be on the safe side and that's for one day (!) The classifieds will come in very handy I suspect :giggle: You'll need to think about how easy it will be for you to dry them too - do you have a tumble dryer or is your washing line/ airer dried? Bamboo nappies can take some time when air dried - mine take a whole day outside. This will obviously determine how many you'll want to buy and what sort.
As you know, twins can be on the small side, though mine were not... 38 weeks and 7lb 6oz and 6lb 3oz :oops: , some of the birth to potty nappies can be huge on tiny babes so I would suggest sized ones to start off with. We used Bamboozles initially which I loved. Now we use a multitude of nappies recommended on here. As some one else said cloth can be real trial and error until you find the nappies that suit you and your babes - that's why the reviews and classifieds are so ace.

Good luck :hug: with your twins and the nappies.
Feel free to pm me if you need anything :hug:

Natalie xxx

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Fri May 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Welcome,

I put DD in a cloth nappy as soon as she was born, but learnt v quickly disposables are best for the first 3 days when the poop is black and sticky.

Then i used Bumgenius xs AIO's for a few weeks until she outgrew them, lovely little trim nappy and go straight on like a disposable. At a few weeks old we moved onto little lambs with a wrap at night and bumgenius in the day. Small BG all in one nappies still fit now and she is 4 months old. Bumgenius also do a V3 birth to potty nappy also which will last up to potty training.

theres an offer on in pregnancy and birth magazine If you want to get a free Bumgenius nappy just send a cheque to Baba Me for £3.95 for p&p to

send me a nappy
Baba me head office
1 flurrybridge
jonesborough
newry
northern ireland
BT35 8SQ

and tell them your address, babies weight, and colour preference pink, blue or white. ends May 31st :wink:

My avatar
JenKyleKaitlinRoo
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby JenKyleKaitlinRoo » Fri May 14, 2010 10:20 pm

little1 wrote:Welcome,

I put DD in a cloth nappy as soon as she was born, but learnt v quickly disposables are best for the first 3 days when the poop is black and sticky.

Then i used Bumgenius xs AIO's for a few weeks until she outgrew them, lovely little trim nappy and go straight on like a disposable. At a few weeks old we moved onto little lambs with a wrap at night and bumgenius in the day. Small BG all in one nappies still fit now and she is 4 months old. Bumgenius also do a V3 birth to potty nappy also which will last up to potty training.

theres an offer on in pregnancy and birth magazine If you want to get a free Bumgenius nappy just send a cheque to Baba Me for £3.95 for p&p to

send me a nappy
Baba me head office
1 flurrybridge
jonesborough
newry
northern ireland
BT35 8SQ

and tell them your address, babies weight, and colour preference pink, blue or white. ends May 31st :wink:

You need to send the page from the magazine too. :wink: http://www.babame.com/pregnancyoffer.php

I used cloth from 2 days old with ds2 and we used small bumgenius all in ones and small fuzzi bunz along with some xs motherease sandies.

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: just a little newbie advice needed please!

Postby rachymoo » Sat May 15, 2010 6:44 am

Welcome!

I havent been using cloth for very long myself really, and I agree it is SO confusing at the start (I use it full time now though and it's fine). As above though there are 3 main types, I have got a mix of all 3 really and different types suit different situations (I personally think fitted (aka 2 part nappies that need a wrap) are just that little bit more reliable and can last a bit longer, however I love the simplicity of pockets and all in ones, they are just like a disposable to put on). I would definitely try a few of each type rather than buying loads of the same one only to find it doesn't really work for you.

I agree about Little Lambs - they are fab! Their website is http://www.littlelamb.co.uk if you want more info. You can also pick them up very cheaply from the classifieds on here. I agree bamboo is the best fabric however it does take AGES to dry, I dont have a tumbledrier and mine take a good 24 hours to dry sometimes! So I also have some cotton ones which are slightly quicker, and some microfibre ones which come out of the washing machine alsmost dry! The microfibre ones are lovely and fluffy too, although not everyone likes microfibre.

I also love Motherease Sandys, they are fab and I have found them to be absolutely bombproof! I use them with a Motherese Rikki wrap.

Once you have got your head around using cloth, that's when the obsession starts and you start stalking the classifieds looking for pretty nappies :wink: oh and then there's Wee Notions! That's when you are truly obsessed :hohoho:

Rach xx

My avatar
Caroline
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Caroline » Sat May 15, 2010 6:50 am

I too love Motherease sandys with rikki wraps. Thirsties fab fitted with either a Thirsties or Motherease wrap are also bombproof. Have a look at my store (click on the signature below) and the FAQ page which will give you some more information :wink:

Next

Return to Cloth Nappy Chat